Amarista Gets First Major League Call-Up
SALT LAKE CITY (April 25, 2011) - The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim announced today that the club has recalled infielder Alexi Amarista from Triple-A Salt Lake and optioned outfielder Reggie Willits to Salt Lake.
Amarista, 22, has appeared in 14 games for the Bees in 2011, hitting a Pacific Coast League-high .455 with six doubles, two home runs, 16 RBI and three stolen bases. He has hit safely in all 14 games this season. Named the Angels' Defensive Player of the Month three times in 2010, Amarista hit .309 with 27 doubles, 10 triples, 68 RBI and 25 stolen bases while splitting last season between Single-A, Double-A and Triple-A. The Barcelano, Venezuela native was originally signed by the Angels as a nondrafted free agent in 2007.
Willits, 29, has appeared in six games for the Angels in 2011. He spent the 2010 season with the Angels, hitting .258 with 23 runs scored, seven doubles, eight RBI and two stolen bases. Willits committed just one error in 115 total chances on the season. His last appearance with Salt Lake was in 2009. The Chickasha, Okla. native was originally selected by the Angels in the seventh round of the 2003 draft.
The Salt Lake Bees continue an eight-game home series tonight against the Tacoma Rainiers at 6:35 p.m. at Spring Mobile Ballpark. Tonight is Harmons Family Night. Visit any Harmons for a coupon valid for a single ticket and hot dog for $5. For more information about Bees season tickets, which start as low as $8 per game, call (801) 325-BASE or visit slbees.com.
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 25, 2011
- Reno Rallies Late For 6-2 Win Over Fresno - Reno Aces
- Isotopes Walk-Off With 7-6 Win Over Z's - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Montanez Leads Iowa Past Memphis - Memphis Redbirds
- Sky Sox Defeat 51s 6-5 For Fifth Straight Victory - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Isotopes Walk Off With 7-6 Win - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Montanez Leads Cubs Over Redbirds - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express Halt Skid, Top Redhawks 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Giavotella's Late Hit Leads Storm Chasers Over Sounds - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Express Rally For Monday Win Over RedHawks - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Ninth-Inning Run Leads Omaha Past Sounds, 2-1 - Nashville Sounds
- Amarista Gets First Major League Call-Up - Salt Lake Bees
- Evan Scribner Recalled by San Diego Padres - Tucson Padres
- Ely Earns PCL Pitcher of the Week Honors - Albuquerque Isotopes
- IF Clint Barmes Joins RedHawks for Pair of Games - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes Vs. Oklahoma City RedHawks - Round Rock Express
- River Cats Jai Miller Earns Pacific Coast League Player of the Week - Sacramento River Cats
- Rojo Johnson Returns to Central Texas - Round Rock Express
- PCL Names Player and Pitcher of the Week - PCL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.