Stars Mount Comeback, Even Series With LookoutsJune 16, 2013 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
For the third night in a row though, the Stars were shutdown by a Lookouts starting pitcher. On Sunday, righty Duke Von Schamann blanked the Huntsville offense through six innings, giving up just three hits and striking out four in his second Double-A start.
On the pitching side, Stars starting pitcher Brooks Hall did his best to keep up with Schamann. In his first ever Double-A start, the 22-year-old didn't give up a run in his first four innings of work.
However, in the fifth, Chattanooga would get to the Anderson, SC native and score their only run of the game. After striking out outfielder Blake Smith, Hall walked both first basemen J.T Wise and catcher Griff Erickson to lead to his exit from the game in favor of righty Arcenio Leon. The next at-bat, a RBI single from third baseman Ozzie Martinez gave Chattanooga the lead.
The score stayed that way until the seventh inning when Lookouts righty Steve Smith (L, 1-0) came into the game to relieve Schamann. After striking out Stars outfielder Brock Kjeldgaard to begin the frame, Smith served up a solo homer to third basemen Mike Walker that just got over the wall and the outstretched arms of Smith in right-field to tie the game.
With Smith still in the game to start the eighth inning, the Stars were able to take advantage of their previous momentum. Following a leadoff single by second basemen Nick Shaw and a sacrifice bunt by outfielder Rene Tosoni, a RBI single from first basemen Jason Rogers scored Shaw to give the Stars the lead. Then, after Rogers advanced to second on a wild pitch, outfielder Kentrail Davis came through with another RBI single to make the score 3-1.
Aside from Hall and Leon, the Stars got a combined three innings of scoreless relief from three pitchers. Lefty Brian Garman earned the victory in relief, improving to 1-0 on the year after retiring the Lookouts in order in the eighth inning. Righty Greg Holle notched his sixth save of the year with a scoreless ninth inning.
The win for the Stars was just their fourth of the season when tied or trailing after the seventh inning.
On Monday, the Stars will try to win their series with Lookouts as the two teams will play the final game of a five-game series at Joe Davis Stadium. Huntsville will send RHP Andy Moye (3-6, 4.34 ERA) to the bump as Chattanooga will counter with RHP Ross Stripling (2-1, 3.30 ERA). First pitch is at 6:43 CT.
Southern League Stories from June 16, 2013
- Playoff Hopes Live as M-Braves Beat Smokies 4-1 - Mississippi Braves
- Stars Mount Comeback, Even Series With Lookouts - Huntsville Stars
- Late Innings Unkind to the Smokies in 4-1 Loss Sunday - Tennessee Smokies
- Saladino Caps 9th Inning Comeback with Walk-Off Hit - Birmingham Barons
- Barons Score Five In Ninth To Stun Generals, 9-8 - Jackson Generals
- Ellis Twirls Gem as Wahoos Shutout BayBears 4-0 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Suns Drop Game Four of Series to Biscuits, 5-2 - Jacksonville Suns
- Biscuits Score Early to Even Series - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smith to DL with Fractured Leg - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Huntsville Stars Game Notes - Huntsville Stars
- Generals Game Information - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.