Ice lose 5-2March 8, 2013 - United States Hockey League (USHL) - Indiana Ice
Anthony Lewis broke the streak of successful kills and added two more goals plus an assist to lead the National Team Developmental team to a 5-2 victory at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
Indy never folded and Team USA's lead to 3-2 in the third period before Lewis finished his hat-trick with 6:17 remaining and an empty net score by John Hayden with 52 seconds before the final horn finished the scoring.
The USA-18 squad built a 2-0 lead before the first intermission and it could have been worse. Tyler Motte had half the Indiana net to bury the game's first goal after goaltender Dalton Izyk had all his attention on Motte's teammate, Jack Eichel. Eichel attacked the net from Izyk's stick-side and passed to Motte on the glove side to notch the game's first score 13:11 after the opening puck drop.
The visitors needed only six seconds of their first power play opportunity to double the lead. Louis was unchallenged in the slot and lit the lamp with 1:16 remaining in the period.
Only a friendly bounce off the pipes and strong saves by Izyk kept the margin manageable after the first 20 minutes.
The deficit remained at two goals when the teams traded second period scores. Austin Hervey got the Ice on the board 7:36 into the middle stanza when he fired a wrister past Team USA netminder Thatcher Demko. Tyler Pham fed Hervey, who scored from the middle of the face-off dots.
The Ann Arbor, MI-based team answered with 9:55 remaining in the middle period. Louis scored his second goal of the evening off a pass from Steven Santini.
Once again, the hosts got a fortunate carom off their goal post to keep the score close. The U-18s clanked a shot off the iron in the seven-minute mark.
The teams meet again Saturday at the Fieldhouse. The puck drops at 7:05.
United States Hockey League Stories from March 8, 2013
- Hayton Stops Saints to Lead Musketeers to 3-2 Win Shootout Win Friday - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Mingoia's Hat Trick Pushes Tri-City 6-3 Past Lancers - Omaha Lancers
- Hawks Downed at Home - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Stampede Hold off Bucs, 3-2 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Shooting Stars Muscle Their Way Past the Lumberjacks at Home, 5-2 - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Ice lose 5-2 - Indiana Ice
- Phantoms F Luke Stork Commits to Ohio State - Youngstown Phantoms
- Lumberjacks Announce Promotions & Community Events - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.