Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Nominated for Utah Governor's State of Sport AwardsMarch 7, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - Real Salt Lake
Rimando is one of six nominees in the Pro Male Athlete category, joining NFL Super Bowl winners Paul Kruger and Haloti Ngata, NHL Stanley Cup winner Trevor Lewis, PGA tour pro Daniel Summerhays and PRCA Rodeo Champion Jesse Wright. Rimando is the only athlete in the group who plays for a Utah team; the other five nominees all play elsewhere but hail from Utah.
The 33-year-old Rimando delivered a strong 2012 season, finishing near the top of Major League Soccer in goals against average, wins and shutouts and finishing fourth in the 2012 Allstate MLS Goalkeeper of the Year voting. The UCLA product became the second player in MLS history to record 100 career regular season shutouts when he blanked San Jose in RSL's 2-0 win at the Earthquakes in Sunday's season opener.
Rimando's first leg performance against Seattle is one of six nominees in the Highlight of the Year category. Rimando made several absolutely incredible saves despite suffering a broken nose in the second half of that match, a scoreless draw at Seattle on Nov. 2 of last year.
There are nine total categories in the 2013 Governor's State Sports Awards. The nine winners of the 2nd Annual Awards will be decided by an online fan vote. Fans can vote for Rimando in both categories through the April 9 voting deadline by clicking here.
The winners of the 2013 Governor's State Sports Awards will be honored at the 2nd Annual Governor's State of Sport Awards Luncheon at the Zions Bank Basketball Center on Tuesday, April 16. Utah Gov. Gary Herbert will present the awards and former tennis star Andre Agassi will deliver a keynote speech at the luncheon. Ticket information for the event can be found by clicking here.
Rimando and his Real Salt Lake teammates return to MLS action this Saturday, when the Claret-and-Cobalt seek its first-ever road win at D.C. United in a MLS match at RFK Stadium. Saturday's match will kickoff at 5:00 p.m. MT and will be broadcast live on ABC4. Rimando played for United from 2002-06, winning MLS Cup 2004 with the Black-and-Red before joining RSL in 2007. Last week, Rimando became just the 2nd GK in MLS history to notch 100 career shutouts, 64 of which have come in RSL colors.
RSL will open its 2013 home schedule with a Rocky Mountain Cup Presented by Mark Miller Subaru match against the rival Colorado Rapids at Rio Tinto Stadium on March 16. The home opener will kick at 4:00 p.m. MT, with fans encouraged to arrive early in order to witness a special pre-game ceremony honoring Rimando's accomplishment.
Major League Soccer Stories from March 7, 2013
- Three Points: Galaxy Claim 0-0 Draw in First Leg of Champions League - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Timbers Weekly Update - Portland Timbers
- CCL Pregame Notes: Herediano vs LA Galaxy - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake GK Nick Rimando Nominated for Utah Governor's State of Sport Awards - Real Salt Lake
- After Week 1 Bye, Revs Eager for Opener - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Foundation and Herbalife Family Foundation Donate $10,000 in Costa Rica - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Sounders FC Waive Sodade - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toronto FC Announce MLS Reserve League Home Schedule - Toronto FC
- D.C. United, RomÃ¡ntica 900AM & Radio Cuscatleca USA.com - D.C. United
- Impact and EMSB Launch Stay-In-School Program for Eighth Year - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2013 RSL Youth Camps Schedule - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy Prepared for the "Electric" Atmosphere against Herediano - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Tigres UANL Tops Sounders FC 1-0 in Champions League Quarterfinal Opener - Seattle Sounders FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.