Reno Bighorns Acquire Walker RussellDecember 27, 2012 - NBA Development League (D-League) Reno Bighorns
Russell (6-0, 175) played collegiately at Jacksonville State. He has spent time in the NBA with the Oklahoma City Thunder, New York Knicks and Detroit Pistons. During the 2011-12 season, Russell appeared in 28 games for the Pistons, averaging 3.0 points and 2.1 assists per game. He was most recently in training camp with the Thunder.
In return for Russell, the Bighorns traded forward Anthony Richardson and guard Jack McClinton.
Russell will fill the roster spot left vacant Garrett Temple, who was called up to the Washington Wizards earlier this week.
"After I found out that Garrett was getting called up by the Washington Wizards, we had a chance to pick up another NBA quality point guard in Walker," said Bighorns coach Paul Mokeski. "The point guard position is so important to any team at any level and Walker is a very good one. In this game you have to give up something good to get something good and we feel this is a win-win for both teams."
"This is one of the tough things about the D-League," said Bighorns owner Herb Santos, Jr. "Anthony and Jack were solid contributors to the team and I know they will do well in Fort Wayne. We look forward to the addition of Walker, who has proven to be a solid point guard."
Russell will be with the Bighorns when they take on the Idaho Stampede in Boise this weekend for a two-game set.
Reno will return home on January 4th against the Sioux Falls Skyforce. Season tickets and group tickets are on sale today. For more information, fans can call 775-853-8220.
NBA Development League Stories from December 27, 2012
- Skyforce to Host Community Blood Drive - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Indiana Pacers Re-Assign Orlando Johnson to NBA D-League Affiliate Fort Wayne Mad Ants - D-League
- Denver Nuggets Re-Assign Quincy Miller to NBA D-League Affiliate Iowa Energy - Iowa Energy
- Ants Trade Walker Russell to Reno for Two Players - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Reno Bighorns Acquire Walker Russell - Reno Bighorns
- Golden State Warriors Assign Kent Bazemore & Jeremy Tyler to Santa Cruz Warriors - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Golden State Warriors Re-Assign Bazemore and Tyler to NBA D-League Affiliate Santa Cruz Warriors - D-League
- Denver Nuggets Re-Assign Quincy Miller to NBA D-League Affiliate Iowa Energy - D-League
- Jones, Liggins and Orton Assigned to Tulsa 66ers - Tulsa 66ers
- Oklahoma City Thunder Re-Assigns Jones, Liggins and Orton to NBA D-League Affiliate Tulsa 66ers - D-League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.