Stars Lose Third Straight GameAugust 14, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
For the Stars, starting pitcher Johnnie Lowe was the hard-pressed losing pitcher, falling to 2-3 on the season after giving up just one run on four hits through six innings.
Unfortunately for Lowe, the only blemish of his evening came in the first inning. With two outs, third baseman Omar Luna hit a ball off the outfield wall that eluded center fielder Josh Prince, enabling Luna to leg out an inside-the-park home run to give the Biscuits a 1-0 lead. The inside-the-park homer was the first for Montgomery in six years.
With the score still 1-0 and Lowe out of the ballgame in the seventh inning, the Biscuits got another run off Stars reliever Johnny Hellweg. In his first outing since coming off the disabled list, Hellweg gave up a double to second baseman Derek Detrich to lead off the inning. The next at-bat, a RBI single by designated hitter Kyeong Kong put the Biscuits up 2-0.
In the bottom of the eighth inning, the Stars made their best effort at a comeback. With one swing of the bat, a solo home run by designated hitter T.J Mittelstaedt cut the Stars deficit to one run. The homer snapped the Stars scoreless inning streak at 25, their longest drought on the season.
However, that is the closest the Stars would get. To begin the ninth, the Biscuits scored two unearned runs off of Stars reliever Brian Garman. Up 4-1 going into the bottom of the ninth, Montgomery closer stranded two baserunners by striking out catcher Anderson De La Rosa and designated hitter Mittelstaedt to end the ballgame. For Yates, the save was his 14th of the season.
On offense, Mittelstaedt and second basemen Scooter Gennett both paced the Stars with two hits apiece. For Gennett, the multi-hit game for him was his eighth in the last nine games.
Game two of a five-game series will take place on Wednesday as the Stars will send RHP Ariel Pena (0-1, 5.74 ERA) to the bump. First pitch is at 6:43 PM.
Southern League Stories from August 14, 2012
- Five-Run Fifth Leads Smokies Past Barons in Series Opener - Tennessee Smokies
- Wahoos Open Series with 9-5 Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Five-Run Eighth Dooms Barons against Smokies - Birmingham Barons
- Stars Lose Third Straight Game - Huntsville Stars
- Luna's Inside-The-Park Homer Sparks Biscuits - Montgomery Biscuits
- Lookouts Down Suns 4-1 - Jacksonville Suns
- Magill Masterful in 4-1 Win - Chattanooga Lookouts
- RHP Hellweg Activated; RHP Kintzler to Nashville - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Make Series Of Roster Moves Tuesday - Tennessee Smokies
- Generals Game Notes - Jackson Generals
- Maldonado Named Southern League Hitter of the Week - Chattanooga Lookouts
- BayBears Open Exciting Ten-Game Homestand - Mobile BayBears
- Conley Transferred To Jupiter; Dayton Transferred To Jacksonville - Jacksonville Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.