Beckerman, Rimando, SaborÃo and Johnson Earn Call Ups for August 15 FIFA DateAugust 12, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Real Salt Lake
Beckerman and Rimando received call ups from U.S. national team manager Jurgen Klinsmann for the nation's friendly against rival Mexico at the famed Estadio Azteca on Aug. 15 in Mexico City.
Beckerman, RSL's captain, has appeared 21 times for the U.S. and has scored once in international play. A Klinsmann favorite, Beckerman has four goals and four assists in 21 MLS appearances - all starts - in 2012. The 30-year-old central midfielder was called in to the last U.S. camp, making three substitute appearances - including one in a World Cup Qualifier - for the Stars and Stripes during its five-game run in May and June.
Rimando has six caps for the U.S. team. The 33-year-old 'keeper is in his sixth-season with RSL and recently past retired goalie Zach Thornton to move into second-place on the MLS career wins list. Rimando has started 22 games for RSL in 2012, posting a 12-9-2 record while notching eight shutouts. The UCLA product last played for the U.S. this January, starting and playing the first half of America's 1-0 friendly win at Panama.
SaborÃ-o, 30, will look to earn his 71st cap for Costa Rica when they host Peru in an international friendly on Aug. 15 at San Jose's Estadio Nacional - the same stadium RSL lost its CONCACAF Champions League opener to C.S. Herediano in on July 31. SaborÃ-o is enjoying a banner year in his third season with RSL, notching a team-high 13 goals and adding two assists in 24 MLS games in 2012. Currently tied for second in the MLS Golden Boot race, SaborÃ-o has enjoyed a run of good form with Costa Rica recently, scoring four goals in his last two games with the Ticos.
Canada has called in Johnson for its Aug. 15 match against CONCACAF foe Trinidad and Tobago in Lauderhill, Fla. The 25-year-old midfielder is enjoying another fine season with RSL, scoring two goals and adding two assists in 20 appearances - 18 of which have been starts - for the Claret-and-Cobalt. Johnson will be looking for his 28th cap with Canadian national team. Johnson was last called up to the national side in June, playing in all three of Canada's matches - including both of its World Cup Qualifiers.
Major League Soccer Stories from August 12, 2012
- Chicago Fire Rally to Top Philadelphia Union 3-1 - Chicago Fire
- MLS Reserve League: Seattle Sounders FC 0 at San Jose Earthquakes 3 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Beckerman, Rimando, SaborÃo and Johnson Earn Call Ups for August 15 FIFA Date - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes' Wondolowski, Beitashour Named US Men's National Team for Friendly in Mexico City - San Jose Earthquakes
- Three Chicago Fire Players Called up for International Friendlies - Chicago Fire
- Sporting KC Sends Three to National Teams - Sporting Kansas City
- Sporting KC Posts 2-1 Win over D.C. United - Sporting Kansas City
- Lenhart Provides Another Miracle Finish with Last-Second Strike to Lead Earthquakes over Sounders FC - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC fall to Earthquakes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Ten-Man Rapids Drop 3-2 Result to FC Dallas - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Nets Three Goals in Eight-Minute Span to Down Rapids, 3-2 - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.