Preview: RSL at Herediano - CONCACAF Champions League MatchdayJuly 30, 2012 - Major League Soccer (MLS) Real Salt Lake
The Claret-and-Cobalt arrived in Costa Rica on Sunday evening, flying down from Salt Lake City on a chartered flight. This is RSL's second trip to the Central American nation in the last 16 months. The team's previous visit to Costa Rica was a successful one, with the Utah side emerging 3-2 aggregate winners after playing Deportivo Saprissa in the second leg of the 2010-2011 CCL Semifinals in March 2011 in San Jose.
RSL will look to replicate that success on Tuesday against Herediano, which qualified for the CCL by winning the 2012 Verano tournament. Herediano has qualified for the CCL twice before, though they have never advanced past the Group Stage. Their experienced squad is powered by 32-year-old FW Victor Nuñez, who led the club with 18 total goals in the 2011 Invierno and 2012 Verano campaigns.
Real Salt Lake star FW ï¿½lvaro SaborÃ-o - who leads the team with 13 MLS goals and has six strikes in his last five games - should feel right at home on Tuesday night. The Costa Rican international has played at Estadio Nacional several times, recording the first goal in stadium history in the Ticos' 2-2 draw in an international friendly against China on March 26, 2011.
RSL will have its full squad available on Tuesday night, with every regular healthy and eligible for the first time in months. The team is rife with CCL experience, with 16 of the 20 traveling players having played in the tournament previously.
Real Salt Lake has a quick turnaround after Tuesday's match, flying back to Salt Lake on Wednesday before traveling to Denver on Friday for the third and final match of 2012 against the Colorado Rapids. The Claret-and-Cobalt returns to CCL play on Aug. 21, when they'll host Panamanian club Tauro FC at Rio Tinto Stadium in the second of four Group 2 matches.
How to Follow Real Salt Lake vs. C.S. Herediano
Kickoff : 8:00 p.m. MT at Estadio Nacional in San Jose, Costa Rica TV : Fox Soccer Channel with Mark Rogondino and Brian Dunseth English Radio : ESPN700 /ESPN700Sports.com (pre-game coverage begins at 7:00 p.m. MT) Spanish Radio : La Gran D 102.3 FM & Juan 1600 AM with Nelson Moran & Fernando Hortal Online : Streaming live at CONCACAF.com with live updates on the @RealSaltLake Twitter Feed
Major League Soccer Stories from July 30, 2012
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Preview: RSL at Herediano - CONCACAF Champions League Matchday - Real Salt Lake
- Weekly Update: Rapids Host Real Salt Lake in Subaru Rocky Mountain Cup - Colorado Rapids
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club to Hold Second Annual Practice in the Community - Chicago Fire
- Columbus Crew Forward Jairo Arrieta Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Red Bulls Acquire International Spot, Draft Pick for Ballouchy - New York Red Bulls
- Crew Juniors U19s Capture U.S. Youth Soccer National Title - Columbus Crew
- Earthquakes Acquire M Mehdi Ballouchy from New York Red Bulls - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Welcome Toronto FC to Toyota Park - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.