ValleyCats Earn 5-2 WinJune 28, 2012 - New York-Penn League (NYPL) Connecticut Tigers
The Tigers scored a single run in the first inning against Tri-City LHP Joe Bircher. LF Danry Vasquez (1-4) singled and scored on a double by RF Jeff McVaney (2-4).
The ValleyCats scored a run in the second inning to tie the score at 1-1. LF Dan Gulbransen (1-3) walked and moved to second base on a throwing error by Connecticut RHP Charlie Gillies. 3B Ryan Dineen (0-2) grounded out and Gulbransen moved to third base. CF Emilio King (1-4) lined a single to right field to plate Gulbransen.
SS Jared Reaves (1-4) hit a solo home run over the left field wall in the third inning for his first professional home run and a 2-1 Connecticut lead.
The ValleyCats tied the game in the fifth inning. C Mike Cokinos (1-2) was hit by a pitch and went to second base on a wild pitch. He went to third base when SS Joe Scalafani (0-4) reached on a fielder's choice and Cokinos broke from third base and scored for a 2-2 tie.
Tri-City scored two runs in the sixth inning and one run in the seventh inning. DH Chase Davidson (0-3) led off the sixth inning with a walk and scored on a triple by Gulbransen.
3B Ryan Dineen (0-2) lifted a sacrifice fly to center field. Gulbransen scored to make it 4-2.
Gillies pitched five innings and allowed two runs on one hit.
TIGER TRACKS: The Tigers added IF Tyler Hanover before the game. The 33rd round draft pick by the Tigers out of Louisiana State University, he hit .281 with one home run and 28 RBIs in 64 games played.
The Tigers and ValleyCats play game two of their series on Friday at 7:00 p.m. LHP Jack Duffey (0-0, 1.59) gets the start for Connecticut against RHP Brady Rodgers (0-0, 0.00) for Tri-City. Pre-game coverage begins at 6:45 p.m. on AM 1310 WICH and online at www.cttigers.com.
The Connecticut Tigers are the Class-A affiliate of the Detroit Tigers and play in the New York-Penn League. The Tigers saw a 23% increase in attendance in 2011, (the 4th highest in Minor League Baseball), and are in their 3rd season at Dodd Stadium. Tickets are now on sale! The Box Office is open 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Friday. In addition, tickets can be purchased over the phone at (860) 887-7962. For more information go online to cttigers.com.
New York-Penn League Stories from June 28, 2012
- Doubledays Walkoff with 4-3 Win over Crosscutters - Auburn Doubledays
- Lowell Takes First Of Three Game Series At Vermont 6-5 On Thursday - Vermont Lake Monsters
- Big Second Inning Leads to Victory in Brooklyn - Aberdeen IronBirds
- Spikes Come Back, But Yield Lead Late in 6-5 Loss to Scrappers - State College Spikes
- Blown Save Spoils Cutter Comeback - Williamsport Crosscutters
- ValleyCats Earn 5-2 Win - Connecticut Tigers
- State College Spike Game Notes - June 28 at Mahoning Valley - State College Spikes
- Lake Monsters and Oakland A's Extend Agreement Through 2014 - Vermont Lake Monsters
- 2nd-Round Pick Bruce Maxwell Joins Lake Monsters - Vermont Lake Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.