Command WR OJ Simpson Earns Community MVP HonorsJune 22, 2012 - Arena Football League (AFL) Kansas City Command
Simpson (5-9, 195, Missouri Western) is in his first season in both the AFL and with the Command.
When he is not at practice, games or working his second job as an alcohol and drug counselor, Simpson offers guidance to troubled youth as a mentor.
"I work with them on life skills, treatment plans and goals for the future," Simpson said. "I have the chance to help out kids and that's the best feeling in the world."
In May, the Command donated 100 car seats to a local hospital as part of "New Mommy Rewards", which provided mothers of the first 100 children in May at the Shawnee Mission Medical Center with a new car seat. Simpson was one of the players who personally delivered some of the car seats.
As a Kansas City native, Simpson enjoys using his role as a professional athlete to impact his hometown community.
"I can build a rapport with these kids because I know what it's like to grow up in this area," Simpson said.
On June 16, Simpson joined his teammates in helping to coach the high school players participating in the Greater Kansas City Football Coaches Association Missouri vs. Kansas High School All Star football game. Simpson is also working with Command receivers' coach, Tod Devoe, to coordinate a free football camp for youth in the Kansas City Community.
"I am not one of those players that just plays football and collects a paycheck," Simpson said. "I like being involved and helping out in the community."
The Kansas City Command (3-10) will host division opponent Chicago Rush (8-5) Saturday at 8:00 pm ET.
The National Guard Community MVP is awarded to one player each week in recognition of their commitment to community service. Following the 2012 season, players will be voted on by fans to become the National Guard Community MVP of the Year.
Arena Football League Stories from June 22, 2012
- Late Score, Opportunistic Defense Fuel 48-41 VooDoo Win at Predators - New Orleans VooDoo
- Predators Fall to New Orleans, 48-41 - Orlando Predators
- AFL Announces 2012 AFL Hall of Fame Finalists - AFL
- SaberCats Return Home to Battle Division Rival Spokane - San Jose SaberCats
- 2013 Sharks Season Tickets Now on Sale - Jacksonville Sharks
- Sharks Offer Happy Hour on Saturday Night - Jacksonville Sharks
- Philadelphia Ready for Keystone Rematch - Philadelphia Soul
- Top 25 Ironmen in AFL History: No. 1-10 - AFL
- Command WR OJ Simpson Earns Community MVP Honors - Kansas City Command
- OJ Simpson Named Week 16 National Guard Community MVP - AFL
- Wide Receiver Rodney Wright Returns to SaberCats - San Jose SaberCats
- Just Another Game and Business as Usual - New Orleans VooDoo
- Predators Wide Receiver Glen Fox Named Week 15 National Guard MVP - Orlando Predators
- Command vs. Rush Game Preview - Kansas City Command
- 2013 Tampa Bay Storm Season Tickets Now Available - Tampa Bay Storm
- Georgia Force QB RJ Archer Signed by Detroit Lions - Georgia Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.