Romero Named FSL Picher of the WeekJune 18, 2012 - Florida State League (FSL) Charlotte Stone Crabs
Romero, 21, made his first relief appearance of the season in that game against St. Lucie on June 11 and worked seven no-hit innings. He walked four and struck out six batters. That fine work lowered Romero's staff-best ERA down to 2.96 on the year.
Among full-season Tampa Bay farmhands, Romero has held his opponents to the lowest batting average against (.205). He currently ranks second on the Charlotte pitching staff with 53 strikeouts. Only C.J Riefenhauser (73) has more, and now both men have earned FSL Pitcher of the Week honors. Romero's 67 innings of work this year fall just one shy of Albert Suarez for the club lead.
Tampa Bay signed Romero as a non-drafted free agent in 2008 out of the Dominican Republic. The lefty entered the season ranked as the #8 prospect in the entire Tampa Bay Rays organization.
Florida State League Stories from June 18, 2012
- Palm Beach Tops Stone Crabs - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Brevard Falls Late to Lakeland, 4-3 - Brevard County Manatees
- Cardinals Squeeze By Stone Crabs, 5-4 - Palm Beach Cardinals
- Rasmussen Out-Duels Nelson in 2-1 Jupiter Win - Fort Myers Miracle
- Romero Named FSL Picher of the Week - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- FSL Names Pitcher and Player of the Week - FSL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.