Mariners Select Former General RHP Stephen PryorJune 1, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Jackson Generals
. RHP Stephen Pryor selected from AAA Tacoma
. LHP George Sherrill transferred to 60-day DL (recovering from left elbow surgery)
Pryor will wear #46 and be in uniform for tonight's series opener vs. the Chicago White Sox at U.S. Cellular Field. To make room on the 40-man roster, LHP George Sherrill was transferred from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list. The 40-man roster remains full at 40 with this transaction.
Pryor, 22, is 0-0 with 9 saves and a 0.64 ERA (0 ER, 28.0 IP) in 21 relief appearances combined between AAA Tacoma (0 ER, 12.0 IP) and AA Jackson (2 ER, 16.0 IP) in 2012. He has limited opponents to a .121 (12x99) average, while walking 12 and striking out 39.
The 6-4, 245-pound right-hander currently leads all Mariners farmhands with 9 saves. After allowing 2 earned runs in his first appearance this season with Jackson on April 5 vs. Birmingham, he has not allowed an earned run in his last 27.0 innings (1 R), including 12.0 scoreless innings since his promotion to Tacoma on May 8. Since joining the Rainiers, opponents are 0-for-16 with runners on base, including 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
Pryor was the Mariners 5th round selection in the 2010 June draft out of Cleveland State Community College (TN). He is 4-3 with 24 saves and a 2.87 ERA (36 ER, 113.0 IP) in 82 career minor league relief appearances.
Sherrill, 35, was placed on the 15-day disabled list April 13 (retroactive to April 10) with a strained flexor bundle in his left elbow. Further examination showed more extensive damage, and he underwent ulnar collateral ligament ("Tommy John") surgery on May 4. The surgery was performed by Dr. Lewis Yocum in Los Angeles. Recovery and rehabilitation from the surgery will prevent Sherrill from pitching again this season. Prior to being placed on the DL, Sherrill appeared in two games, working 1.1 innings and allowing 6 hits, including 2 home runs, and 4 earned runs. Sherrill signed a one-year contract with Seattle as a free agent on Dec. 30, 2011.
Southern League Stories from June 1, 2012
- Stars' Bats Silenced in Rubber Match with Smokies, 2-1 - Huntsville Stars
- Generals Sweep Pensacola in Double-Header - Jackson Generals
- Lookouts Take Series With 6-1 Win Over Barons - Birmingham Barons
- Ninth Inning Runs Boost BayBears to 4-2 Win - Mobile BayBears
- Biscuits Explode Past M-Braves, Take Series - Montgomery Biscuits
- Burgess' Double Propels Smokies to 2-1 Win Friday Night - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Edge Suns 4-2 in Finale - Jacksonville Suns
- Fireworks, Family Sunday and More for Upcoming Homestand - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Generals Announce Rosters for West Tennessee High School All-Star Game - Jackson Generals
- Harman Activated From Disabled List Friday - Tennessee Smokies
- Mariners Select Former General RHP Stephen Pryor - Jackson Generals
- Stars Welcome M-Braves for Six-Game Homestand on Saturday - Huntsville Stars
- Homestand Highlights - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biscuits Split Doubleheader with M-Braves - Montgomery Biscuits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.