Stars Two-Hit by Smokies in LossMay 31, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Huntsville Stars
The game began as a pitchers duel between Stars RHP Kyle Heckathorn and Smokies LHP Eric Jokisch as both teams were only able to manage a run and a hit apiece through the first six innings of the game.
In the third inning, the Smokies got the scoring started with a solo homerun by right fielder Mike Burgess to take a 1-0 lead.
However, that lead would not last for long. In the fifth inning, Stars center fielder Josh Prince drew a walk with two outs and then stole his third base of the game. Shortstop Tommy Manzella broke Jokisch's no-hit bid with an RBI single to score Prince and tie up the game at 1-1.
Following the departures of both starting pitchers and a 45-minute rain and lightning delay, the Smokies took control of the game.
With Stars reliever Darren Byrd in the game, the Smokies took the lead for good in the seventh inning. Tennessee center fielder Jim Adduci doubled to begin the inning. After advancing to third on a groundout, Adduci scored on a wild pitch from Byrd to put the Smokies up 2-1.
Tennessee put the icing on the cake in the eighth inning when Elliot Soto tripled to begin the frame. He scored on a RBI double by shortstop Junior Lake to give the Smokies an insurance run. Lake then scored on a sacrifice fly by left fielder Rebel Ridling to make the score 4-1.
Smokies reliever Brian Schlitter earned the win in relief, pitching 0.2 scoreless innings to improve to 1-2 on the year. Tennessee RHP Frank Batista notched his seventh save of the season by striking out the Stars in order in the ninth inning.
For Huntsville, Byrd fell to 0-2 on the year with the loss. As a team, the two hits were the fewest the Stars have had in a game this season.
With both teams splitting the first four games of the series, the deciding game of this set will begin on Friday as the Stars will send RHP Hiram Burgos (1-1, 5.16 ERA) to the mound to square off against RHP Trey McNutt (2-3, 2.67 ERA). First pitch is at 6:15 CT.
Southern League Stories from May 31, 2012
- Smokies Ride Jokisch's Arm to 4-1 Victory Thursday - Tennessee Smokies
- Suns Stun BayBears for Second Straight - Mobile BayBears
- Stars Two-Hit by Smokies in Loss - Huntsville Stars
- Jensen Lifts Suns to 5-3 Win over BayBears - Jacksonville Suns
- Hernandez Pitches Barons to 1-0 Shutout over Lookouts - Birmingham Barons
- Generals Game Postponed on Thursday - Jackson Generals
- Mayo Acosta Activated from AAA Durham - Montgomery Biscuits
- Andrelton Simmons to Atlanta and Greg Paiml to Mississippi - Mississippi Braves
- M-Brave Andrelton Simmons Promoted to Atlanta - Mississippi Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.