Bandits Power Past Hawks for Series-Opening WinApril 30, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) South Bend Silver Hawks
Left-hander John Pedrotty got the loss for the Hawks, allowing nine earned runs on 11 hits over 3.1 innings. Southpaw Dail Villanueva (2-1) got the win for the Bandits allowing two unearned runs on eight hits over six innings. Anthony Garcia, Luis Mateo and Colin Walsh each homered for the River Bandits in the win. Garcia's gave Quad Cities a 2-0 lead in the second inning. Mateo's big fly started a four-run fourth inning while Walsh's began the eighth inning. The River Bandits scored four runs apiece in the third and fourth innings and added a three-run eighth inning.
Matt Helm went 3-for-5 with three doubles to pace the Silver Hawks offensively. With 44 career doubles, Helm is now fifth all-time on the Silver Hawks career doubles list.
Helm started a second inning rally with a leadoff double, and later scored on an error by Bandits shortstop Matt Williams. Ender Inciarte added an RBI single to cap off the two-run inning. Inciarte finished 2-for-4. Marc Bourgeois knocked in the Hawks third run in the ninth inning with an RBI single. Tom Belza legged out an infield single in the ninth to extend his hitting streak to 13 games.
Virgil Hill and Garcia each knocked in four runs for the Bandits.
The 14-3 loss is the Silver Hawks largest margin of defeat this season.
Right-hander Willy Paredes tossed 2.1 innings out of the Hawks bullpen and allowed two earned runs on three hits. Matt Sample tossed 1.1 scoreless innings while Seth Simmons surrendered three earned runs on two hits in the eighth inning.
The Silver Hawks and Bandits play a double-header Tuesday night at Modern Woodmen Park. Jesse Darrah (2-1, 3.86) and J.R. Bradley (2-2, 5.89) will throw for the Silver Hawks while Tyrell Jenkins (1-1, 2.38) and Hector Hernandez (1-1, 2.01) go for the Bandits. The Silver Hawks return home on Wednesday to take on the Bowling Green Hot Rods at 7:05 p.m. Tickets are available for purchase by calling 235-9988 or online at www.silverhawks.com.
Midwest League Stories from April 30, 2012
- Kernels split doubleheader with West Michigan - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Bees and Captains Game Cancelled - Burlington Bees
- Bees and Captains Are Cancelled - Lake County Captains
- River Bandits Come out Swinging in Series-Opening Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dayton Dragons Homestand Preview - Dayton Dragons
- Big seventh gets Rattlers past Bowling Green - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Lugnuts/LumberKings Finale Canceled - Lansing Lugnuts
- Loons Swim to Win over Cougars - Great Lakes Loons
- Big First Inning Lifts TinCaps to 8-4 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gomez Strong But Hot Rods Fall in Series Finale - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Bandits Power Past Hawks for Series-Opening Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Loons Take Series from Cougars - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Lose in Beloit 7-0 - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield Team up for "Home Run for Life" - Dayton Dragons
- Snappers Shutout the Dragons, 7-0 - Beloit Snappers
- Two Bees Players Win Top Performers of the Week - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Fall 8-4 Monday - Peoria Chiefs
- Cam Bedrosian joins Kernels from Tempe; Jacob Negrete to Extended - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Loons, MBF Team up for Summer Baseball Camps - Great Lakes Loons
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.