Barons Thrash Generals To Stop Winning StreakApril 8, 2012 - Southern League (SL) Jackson Generals
Nick Franklin smacked a two-RBI double in the bottom of third, giving Jackson a 2-0 adnvantage, but Birmingham scored nine-straight runs to win their first game of the season. Franklin was 1-for-3, extending his hitting streak to four games.
Danny Hultzen suffered the loss for the Generals in his much anticipated minor league debut. Hultzen surrendered five runs on four hits over four innings Sunday. He struck out seven and walked three in the start.
The Barons plated two in the top of the fourth inning knotting the game at 2-2, and four in the fifth. Andy Wilkins belted a three-run homer to right that pushed the Birmingham advantage to 6-2. The Barons added three more runs in the eighth inning to make the final 9-2.
Jon Gilmore, Justin Greene, Drew Garcia and Damaso Espino recorded two-hit games for the Barons. Birmingham reliever Henry Mabee tossed 2 1/3 scoreless innings to earn his first win of the season.
Monday morning the Generals and Barons wrap up the opening five-game series, with first pitch set for 11:05 a.m. at Pringles Park. RHP Taijuan Walker starts for the Generals against LHP Pedro Hernandez for Birmingham. Walker is the No. 1 prospect for the Mariners, according to Baseball America.
Tickets for Generals home games can be purchased at the Generals Box Office at Pringles Park, online at www.jacksongeneralsbaseball.com or by calling 731.988.5299.
Be sure to check out the Generals on Facebook at facebook.com/jacksongenerals, and follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/jacksongenerals. Also, download the Generals' iPhone or Android app for free to keep the Generals at your fingertips at all times.
Southern League Stories from April 8, 2012
- BayBears Stay Perfect, Win Fourth Straight - Mobile BayBears
- Wahoos Make It Two Straight, Drop Biscuits 7-5 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Thrash Generals To Stop Winning Streak - Jackson Generals
- Suns Comeback Burns Stars - Huntsville Stars
- Late Rally Falls Short, Wahoos Clinch Series - Montgomery Biscuits
- Late Offense Leads Smokies to 7-4 Win Over Lookouts - Tennessee Smokies
- Stars Fall 6-5 - Huntsville Stars
- Smokies Rally to Defeat Lookouts, 7-4 - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Generals Game Central - Jackson Generals
- RHP Zeller joins Tennessee; Hatley placed on DL - Tennessee Smokies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.