Russell's Blasts Lead 66ers Past LancasterMay 31, 2010 - California League (CalL) - Lancaster JetHawks
After Eovaldi and JetHawks starter Kyle Greenwalt each tossed scoreless innings through the first two frames, the 66ers got singles from Chris Gutierrez and Johan Garcia in the top of the third. With two on and two out, Russell socked a three-run homer over the right field wall to give Inland Empire a 3-0 advantage.
66ers catcher Matt Wallach belted a solo home run off Greenwalt (1-4) in the fourth to extend Inland Empire's lead to 4-0.
Meanwhile, the JetHawks struggled at the plate throughout the night. Eovaldi (1-2) limited Lancaster to just five hits and registered five strikeouts with no walks en route to picking up his first win of the season in the complete game shutout. Albert Cartwright was the only JetHawk to record a multi-hit game.
Russell crushed a solo homer in the top of the eighth that sailed over the batter's eye beyond the center field fence. Russell leads the California League with 14 home runs. The 66ers tacked on another run in the ninth off JetHawks reliever Michael Schurz.
With the win, the 66ers improved to 20-32. Lancaster fell to 15-35 with the loss.
The JetHawks will seek to avoid a series sweep when the two teams meet on Tuesday at Clear Channel Stadium. Right-hander Ross Seaton (1-6, 5.54 ERA) gets the start for Lancaster. The 66ers are expected to counter with L.A. Dodgers southpaw George Sherrill (0-0, 0.00 ERA), who will be making a rehab start for Inland Empire. First pitch is slated for 7:00 p.m. Tune in for all the live action beginning with the JetHawks Pre-Game Show at 6:45 p.m. on www.jethawks.com/csn and News Talk 1380-AM.
California League Stories from May 31, 2010
- Russell's Blasts Lead 66ers Past Lancaster - Lancaster JetHawks
- Dodgers' George Sherrill Scheduled to Pitch in Lancaster Tuesday Night - Lancaster JetHawks
- Experience FRITOS Family Fridays at the Ballpark - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Quakes Survive 12-Walk Day, Win 5-3 - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Missed Opportunities Cost Giants in 5-3 Loss - San Jose Giants
- Perez's Single Gives San Jose Extra-Inning Win - San Jose Giants
- San Francisco Giant Mark Derosa Scheduled to Rehab in San Jose - San Jose Giants
- Giants Tip Quakes in Ten - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- 66ers Top Lancaster in Series Opener - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.