Sounds Blanked By I-Cubs, 3-0April 26, 2009 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Nashville Sounds
Caridad (3-1) picked up his third win in four outings this season for the I-Cubs with his solid effort, his first quality start of the year. He allowed three hits, walked two batters, and struck out five.
Kevin Hart and Chad Fox followed with a scoreless inning each to close out the shutout, with Fox picking up his second save by retiring the Sounds in order in the ninth.
It was a pitcher's duel for much of the early afternoon as Caridad and Nashville starter Chase Wright kept the opposition, allowing only three hits apiece through the game's first six innings.
Iowa broke the scoreless deadlock in the top of the seventh when catcher Chris Robinson (2-for-4) belted his first home run of the season, a three-run shot to left off Wright. Jake Fox (walk) and Brad Snyder (double) also scored on the blast, which gave the visitors a 3-0 advantage.
Nashville third baseman Mat Gamel produced two of the club's three hits on the day, including his team-leading seventh double of the year. Joe Koshansky doubled to account for Nashville's other knock.
Wright (1-2) took the loss for the Sounds despite working a quality start for the second straight outing. He allowed three runs on five hits over 6 1/3 innings of work.
Reliever Juan Sandoval made his Sounds debut in the contest and worked 1 2/3 scoreless frames, striking out a pair of batters.
Nashville centerfielder Tony Gwynn had his PCL-best 15-game hitting streak come to a close with an 0-for-4 afternoon.
The teams continue the series with a 6 p.m. contest on Monday night at Greer. Right-hander Nick Green (1-1, 4.24) will man the bump for Nashville to face Iowa right-hander Randy Wells (2-0, 2.65).
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 26, 2009
- Reno knocks off Fresno, 3-2 - Reno Aces
- Sky Sox Beat Rainiers 7-5 in a Home Run Happy Affair - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Z's rally falls short - New Orleans Zephyrs
- Arias gets first win of season - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Blanked By I-Cubs, 3-0 - Nashville Sounds
- Beavers-Bees Postponed Due To Rain Sunday - Portland Beavers
- Royals, RedHawks Rained Out Again - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Today's Bees Game Postponed - Salt Lake Bees
- Padres Recall Drew Macias - Portland Beavers
- Angels Recall Fernando Rodriguez - Salt Lake Bees
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City RedHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.