Sensational Starner Leads Lugnuts to WinJuly 29, 2007 - Midwest League (MWL) - Lansing Lugnuts
Nate Starner (9-8) was terrific for the Lugnuts, as he tossed seven shutout innings while allowing just three hits. He also fanned eight and retired the final 14 batters that he faced.
The Lugnuts pitching staff did not allow a LumberKing to pass first base in the entire game.
Lansing broke a scoreless tie in the seventh when Matt Liuzza grounded a single through the infield to score Kevin Nelson to make it 1-0.
The Lugnuts added two insurance runs in the following inning when Matt Lane doubled to start the frame. Sean Shoffit then came in to pinch run and scored on a wild pitch to make it 2-0. Nelson's RBI single later in the inning put the game away at 3-0.
Lansing will now return home to Oldsmobile Park Monday night to open an eight-game homestand. The first four will come against the Cedar Rapids Kernels, with first pitch set for 7:05 p.m. Monday.
Midwest League Stories from July 29, 2007
- Sensational Starner Leads Lugnuts to Win - Lansing Lugnuts
- Cougars Take Finale, Series - Kane County Cougars
- Chiefs Score Four Times in Tenth to Beat Dayton, Stay in First - Peoria Chiefs
- Newton Goes Deep Twice in Whitecaps Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Wrap up Nine-Day Trip with Extra Inning Loss - Dayton Dragons
- Newest Snapper Heading For DL - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Enjoy Best July Ever in Attendance - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers Fall in Finale - Beloit Snappers
- Loons Drown Rattlers, 8-5 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Swing Sweep Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lugnuts Hold Off Clinton, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Nickerson spins gem as Whitecaps blank Kernels, 5-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.