Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2December 26, 2006 - American Hockey League (AHL) Binghamton Senators
The Crunch jumped out to a 1-0 lead off a Derrick Walser power-play goal. Following a Ryan Vesce slashing call, Walser snapped a wrist shot past Kelly Guard from just inside the blue line.
After twenty-one minutes of scoreless hockey, Josh Hennessy buried a short-handed goal to tie the game at 1 apiece. With Andy Hedlund in the penalty box on an interference call, Hennessy smashed a slap shot into the top left corner of the net.
Hennessy struck again, this time on the power play. The 21-year-old blasted a one-timer which was deflected by a Crunch player right back into Hennessy's possession. He reloaded and snapped a wrist shot past goalie Dan LaCosta to put the Senators up 2-1.
Defenseman Andy Hedlund tallied the game-winner at the 16:29 mark of the second period. Hedlund buried a slap shot through the five hole from the high right post. All three goals for Hedlund this year have come on the power play.
Winger Cory Pecker extended his point streak to five games on Tuesday, as the Montreal native buried an even-strength marker just nineteen seconds after Hedlund scored his game-winner. After taking the pass from Brian Maloney, Pecker went to the backhand as he crossed in front of the crease to net his seventh tally of the year.
The Crunch got the second goal off the stick of Alexandre Picard. Syracuse was working a five-on-three power play when the left winger tapped in a rebound from just outside the crease at 18:52 of the second period.
That was as close as the Crunch would get, as goalie Kelly Guard dominated the third period. The netminder stopped all 14 shot attempts to earn his sixth victory of the season.
Binghamton hits the road for back-to-back road games against Rochester and Albany before returning home on Sunday, Dec. 31 to host Toronto. Seats for the New Years Eve game against the Marlies are going fast. Fans can purchase tickets at the following locations: Broome County Veterans Memorial Arena box office (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and Saturday, 12 p.m. - 5 p.m.), Binghamton Senators executive office, third floor of the Arena (Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. and on game days until the end of the second period.), www.binghamtonsenators.com or by calling (607) 722-SENS.
Catch all the action LIVE on Q107 FM (106.7 or 104.5), via webcast or B2 Networks streaming video cast at www.binghamtonsenators.com.
American Hockey League Stories from December 26, 2006
- Rampage rally falls short - San Antonio Rampage
- Stars win third straight - Iowa Chops
- Houston survives late goal - Houston Aeros
- Senators cruise past Crunch, 4-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Peoria Powers Past Griffins, 4-3 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wolf Pack Recall Lee, Bahensky and Constant from Charlotte - Connecticut Whale
- Phantoms upend Penguins - Adirondack Phantoms
- Hershey Beats Sound Tigers - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rivermen Power Through Grand Rapids 4-3 on the Road - Peoria Rivermen
- Bears back in first place after downing Bridgeport, 6-3 - Hershey Bears
- 'Dogs hold on to down Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Pair called up to New York - Connecticut Whale
- Hamilton Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Phantoms week in review - Adirondack Phantoms
- Portland Pirates Weekly Report - Portland Pirates
- Rampage sign Ferraro, Paddock to PTO - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Keep Pace Near Top of Tight East Division Race - Norfolk Admirals
- Oilers send Roy back to Bulldogs and recall Hejda - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rochester hosts Hamilton tonight - Rochester Americans
- Bears' Laing named CCM Vector/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Lowell Splits the Week - Albany Devils
- Rampage Week 12 Report - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers News - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Monarchs Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Binghamton Senators weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Bears begin five games in six nights Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Ellis Returns to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Flames Recall Regehr, Moss From Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Worcester signs Prudden to Professional Tryout Agreement - Worcester Sharks
- Flames Send Ference, Germyn to Knights - Abbotsford Heat
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Sharks Look to Ring in New Year with "Bang" - Worcester Sharks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.