Victory Eek out 1-0 win over San Jose State in scrimmage
The Victory continued its pre-season scrimmage campaign with a 1-0 win over San Jose State University Wednesday.
Forward Josh Hansen scored late in the first half -- his first for the California Victory.
"Chris Schwarze took the ball up the left side to the endline and crossed to the far post," said Hansen of the goal. "I saw Chucky [midfielder Chuck Kim] there and he got to the ball first to head it back across the goal where I had drifted. At that point the ball was bouncing towards me and all I had to do was dive and put it on target from about six yards out. Luckily it went into the corner where nobody was."
Victory head coach Glenn Van Straatum was happy to see a marked improvement in the team's performance -- especially in the second half.
"Our first half we were a bit too eager, " said head coach Glenn Van Straatum. "But I felt in the second half we adjusted well and were a lot more composed and patient in the build up. Again, this is pre-season and we are giving new players a look."
Of San Jose State University, Straatum noted: "They have a couple of good individual dribblers with great potential and their work-rate is high, which is a good match-up for us at this time."
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from March 24, 2007
- Battery falls to New York - Charleston Battery
- Carolina RailHawks-Wake Forest Exhibition at SAS Soccer Park - North Carolina FC
- Victory Eek out 1-0 win over San Jose State in scrimmage - California Victory
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent California Victory Stories
- Van Straatum: "We battle until the end"
- Late PK puts Seattle on top; Sounders beat Vics 1-0 in San Francisco
- Victory out of playoff contention following loss to Montreal
- Victory beats Minnesota with Morales brace
- Victory face Thunder, Islanders in hunt for playoffs