Two Red Stars Dispersed In Expansion Draft
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - Defender Nikki Krzysik and forward Danesha Adams, members of the Chicago Red Stars during their inaugural Women's Professional Soccer season, are joining the expansion Philadelphia Independence for 2010.
WPS held its first-ever expansion draft Tuesday for the Independence and Atlanta Beat, the eighth and ninth organizations to join the league. Krzysik and Adams were chosen among 13 picks in a talented expansion pool.
"We appreciate the dedication and service of Nikki Krzysik and Danesha Adams during the Red Stars' inaugural 2009 campaign, and we wish them all the best with the Philadelphia Independence next season," Red Stars General Manager Marcia McDermott said Tuesday.
Krzysik was a second-round pick (13th overall) in the 2008 WPS General Draft. She started in 10 of 14 games played for Chicago, logging 849 minutes. Before joining the Red Stars, the Clifton, N.J., native played for the Richmond Kickers of the W-League in 2008. Also that year, the University of Virginia senior was named Atlantic Coast Conference Defensive Player of the Year.
Adams was the sixth overall pick in the 2008 WPS General Draft. She played in 12 games during the 2009 WPS season, earning two starts and taking 10 shots in 349 minutes of work. Adams previously helped Pali Blues SC to the 2008 W-League championship. The Shaker Heights, Ohio, native played collegiately at UCLA from 2004-2007, earning All-Pacific-10 Conference first team honors three times.
For the full details of the WPS expansion draft, visit www.womensprosoccer.com.
The Chicago Red Stars completed their inaugural Women's Professional Soccer season. Season tickets for the 2010 season are currently on sale. For more information, log on to www.ChicagoRedStars.com or call 866-WPS-2009.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from September 15, 2009
- Two Washington Freedom Players selected in WPS Expansion Draft - magicJack
- Philadelphia Independence Scores Big In WPS Expansion Draft - Philadelphia Independence
- Two Red Stars Dispersed In Expansion Draft - Chicago Red Stars
- WPS Expansion Draft Recap: Buczkowski, Keselica Selected - Sky Blue FC
- WPS Expansion Teams in Atlanta, Philadelphia Begin Stocking Rosters through Expansion Draft - WPS
- Breakers lose Schmedes and Weber in WPS Expansion Draft - Boston Breakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.