Thunder unveils enhanced youth camp schedule
ST. PAUL, Minn. (Friday, February 2, 2007) - Minnesota's most popular summer soccer camp program is back for its 12th straight year. With nearly 3,000 young participants last summer, coupled with another 650+ in the Thunder winter training programs, the summer of 2007 is shaping up to be bigger and better than ever. Thunder camps take place in over 33 metro locations for boys and girls ages 5-18.
Thunder summer soccer camps are directed by Thunder Camp Director Zafer Kilickan and his new colleagues, Manny Lagos, Mark Abboud, Danny Storlien and of course, the head coach of the Minnesota Thunder, Amos Magee and several of his professional Thunder players. Minnesota Lightning women's players will also be assisting in camps for 2007.
Thunder Camps, which are official camps of the Minnesota Youth Soccer Association, begin in April with a spring break GameBreakers camp and Art of Defending Clinic and run throughout the summer months with a variety of programs.
For a complete 2007 camp schedule and to securely register online, visit www.mnthunder.com
Day camps are divided into separate programs designed specifically for boys and girls ages 5-14 by dividing players by age, gender, and ability. The Rugrats program is designed for players ages 5-7, Recreational Player program for ages 8-12, Junior Ball Masters program for U9 and U10 competitive players, the Ball Masters program for U11 and U12 competitive players and the Advanced Ball Masters program for U13 and U14 competitive players. A Goalkeeper training program is available at specific sites for U11-U14 players.
Camps are designed to offer individuals the best possible learning environment. Having a 13:1 camper to coach ratio, the Thunder camps allow for extended one on one contact. The wide variety of camps offers something for every youth player.
Day campers and SuperSite campers can choose to attend half day camp (9 a.m. - 12 p.m., Mon-Fri) or full day camp (9 a.m. - 12 p.m., Mon-Thu / 9 a.m. - 12 p.m., Fri).
Here are some notable points about the coming summer programs:
- All campers receive an Adidas soccer ball, a player evaluation, and a complimentary ticket to camper reunion night sponsored by SUBWAY.
- All SuperSite, Day campers, All-Girls campers, and Residential campers will receive a FULL Camp kit which includes 2 t-shirts, 1 short, 2 socks, and a Thunder sling backpack
- All Girls Camp program has been expanded to four regional sites - New SuperSites for more competitive 12 to 14 year old players
- New Art of Defending camps run in conjunction with the popular GameBreakers Clinics
- New 4-day lunch option with Subway and other vendors
All 2007 Thunder Staff coaches will go through coaching education training led by Thunder Master Coaches and MYSA State Coaching Directors.
The Thunder offers a multiple family member discount of $10 that is awarded when two or more campers from the same family register, as well as Buddy Discounts, Team Discounts, and the return of the MYSA Volunteer Appreciation Discount.
The Thunder offers seven different camp programs:
- Day Camps (ages 5 to 12)
- SuperSites* (ages 5 to 14)
- Youth and Senior Residential Camps (ages 9-18)
- GameBreakers Clinics (ages U11-U17)
- The Art of Defending Camps (ages U11-U17)
- All Girls Camp (ages 9-16)
- HS Prep Camp (ages 14-18)
*Day Camp program with the addition of our Advanced Ball Masters Program for more competitive 12 to 14 year olds.
SUBWAY has been named the Official Food Partner of all Minnesota Thunder Day Camps. On Wednesdays, campers can join in on a SUBWAY sandwich party for lunch and will receive an individually wrapped 6-inch sub sandwich and a bag of chips.
Campers complete their summer soccer experience by taking part in the Camp Reunion Night, presented by SUBWAY. All Thunder campers will receive a complimentary ticket to the Thunder's home game on Saturday, August 25, against the Atlanta Silverbacks. Campers will join the Thunder players for a commemorative camp reunion photo prior to the game and will be recognized at halftime as a Thunder camper in front of family and friends.
Cost of the camps will be as follows:
- Day Camps/SuperSites -Rugrats (ages 5-7) - Half Day, $130
- Recreational Player (ages 8-12) - Half Day, $140 / Full Day, $215
- Junior Ball Masters (U9 and U10 Competitive players) - Half Day, $150 / Full Day, $225
- Ball Masters (U11 and U12 Competitive players) - Half Day, $150 / Full Day, $225
- Advanced Ball Masters (U13 and U14 Competitive players) - Half Day, $150 / Full Day, $225
- Goal keeper Positional (U11 to U14 Competitive players) - Half Day, $150 / Full Day, $225
- GameBreakers Clinics, $120
- All-Girls Camp, $150
- High School Prep Camp, $150
- The Art of Defending, $120
- Youth & Goalkeeper Residential $295
- Senior & Goalkeeper Residential $415
The Thunder camps, in existence since 1995, are official camps of the Minnesota Youth Soccer Association. For more information on Thunder camps contact Trina Kramer, Camp and Team Administrator at 651-917-2828, or at [email protected] or visit www.mnthunder.com
2007 THUNDER CAMP SCHEDULE
- April 2-5, GameBreakers and Art of Defending Clinic (St.Paul-Macalaster and Plymouth-Plymouth Creek Center)
- April 16-19, GameBreakers and Art of Defending Clinic (Woodbury-Bielenberg)
- June 11-15, Mendota Heights (Kensington Park); *Plymouth (Elm Creek Play Fields); *Woodbury (Bielenberg), Buffalo (Bentfield Mills)
- June 11-14, GameBreakers and Art of Defending Clinic (St. Paul-St. Thomas University)
- June 11-15, ALL-GIRLS CAMP (Lakeville-North Park)
- June 17-21, Senior Residential Camp (St. Paul-Macalester College)
- June 18-22, *Eagan (TBD), *White Bear Lake (Louricas Field-North), Hudson (Hudson Soccer Complex), Mahtomedi (TBD)
- June 18-22, ALL-GIRLS CAMP (Minneapolis-Neiman Soccer Complex)
- June 18-22, GameBreakers and Art of Defending Clinic (Minneapolis-Neiman Soccer Complex)
- June 24-27, Youth Residential Camp (St. Paul-Macalester College)
- June 25-29, Apple Valley (Johnny Cake), *Shoreview (Bobby Thiesen), Stillwater (Lucy Winton), *Lakeville (North Park)
- June 25-29, ALL-GIRLS CAMP (Hopkins-Blake School)
- July 9-13, ALL-GIRLS CAMP (Woodbury-Bielenberg)
- July 9-13, GameBreakers and Art of Defending Clinic (Eagan-TBD)
- July 9-13, Champlin (Clyde Andrews Park), Bloomington (Kelly Fields)
- July 16-20, *Eden Prairie (TDB), Maple Grove (Elm Creek Elementary School), Chaska (Chaska Middle School), Hastings (Hastings High School)
- July 23-27, *Minneapolis (Pearl Park), Burnsville (North River Hills), Coon Rapids (Coon Rapids Soccer Complex)
- July 30-Aug 3, *Minnetonka (Lone Lake Park), *St. Louis Park (Louisiana Oak), Prior Lake (Ryan Park), Eagan (TBD)
- Aug 6-10, White Bear Lake (Louricas Field-North), Woodbury (Middleton Elementary)
- Aug 6-10, High School Prep Camp (Woodbury-Middleton Elementary, Hopkins-Blake School, Blaine-Blaine Soccer Complex, and Lakeville-North Park)
- Aug 13-17, Minneapolis (Bryn Mawr Park), Blaine (Blaine Soccer Complex) * Super Site Location
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from February 2, 2007
- Whitecaps take home hardware - Vancouver Whitecaps
- Timbers re-sign two 2006 team leaders - Portland Timbers
- Thunder unveils enhanced youth camp schedule - Minnesota Thunder
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Thunder Stories
- Majors Post Back-To-Back Wins Up North
- Final Thunder Match of 2009 Ends in 3-2 Loss to Battery
- Final Thunder Away Match Ends in 1-1 Draw with Montreal Impact
- Minnesota Thunder Handily Defeats Puerto Rico Islanders 5-2
- Minnesota Thunder Tie Vancouver Whitecaps 1-1