Syracuse Crunch Weekly - February 15, 2017 - Vol. 23, No. 18
Fri., Feb. 10 - Crunch vs. Binghamton - L, 3-2
Sat., Feb. 11 - Crunch vs. Rochester - W, 5-2
Sun., Feb. 12 - Crunch at Utica - W, 3-2
Wed., Feb. 15 - Crunch at Albany - 7 p.m.
Sat., Feb. 18 - Crunch at St. John's - 6 p.m.
Sun., Feb. 19 - Crunch at St. John's - 2:30 p.m.
Crunch head back on the road
The Crunch capped their three-in-three weekend with wins Saturday vs. Rochester, 5-2, and Sunday in Utica, 3-2. The Crunch remain first in the North at 25-15-4-5.
Cory Conacher extended his scoring streak to nine games with an assist Sunday in Utica. He had four points (1g, 3a) in three games last week. The nine-game streak (4g, 10a) equals the longest of his career which spans six seasons and 475 games in the NHL, AHL and Switzerland. He last had a nine-game streak Nov. 5-25, 2011.
Conacher leads Syracuse in points (42) and assists (32). He's one shy of Matt Taormina's team-leading total of 20 power-play points. Conacher has 26 points over his last 19 games (6g, 20a), the largest point total in the AHL in that span (since Dec. 31). Six of his 10 multi-point games have occurred in those 19 games, plus his first game-winning goal (Feb. 4) and shootout game-winning goal (Jan. 28).
Adam Erne returned to the Syracuse lineup Saturday after missing the previous 16 Crunch games while in the NHL and recovering from injury. He collected two goals and one assist Saturday, including his first game-winning goal of the season, his fifth multi-point game and third multi-goal game.
Erne followed with another goal Sunday, his 11th of the year, marking the first time this season he potted goals in consecutive games. Sunday was Erne's 100th career Crunch game; he has 55 career points (26g, 29a).
Kristers Gudlevskis earned both Syracuse wins in Week 18, improving to 9-7-6 on the season while lowering his goals-against average to 2.67, tied with Adam Wilcox (16-8-3). Gudlevskis, in his fourth AHL season, had not won consecutive appearances all season until playing on consecutive days Saturday (25 saves on 27 shots) and Sunday (a season high 39 saves on 41 shots and No. 1 star).
Last year Gudlevskis followed a win with another win six times, finishing 16-12-8 in 41 appearances. Two years ago, in the 2014-15 campaign, he followed a win with another win 16 times, finishing 25-14-4 in 46 games.
Gudlevskis is 68-44-22 in 146 career AHL games, all with Syracuse. He's 10 wins shy of tying Karl Goehring for most regular season victories in Crunch history. Goehring was 78-71-15 in 178 games (2001-05, 2007-08).
Yanni Gourde had at least one point in all three Week 18 games (2g, 2a). Gourde leads the Crunch with 18 goals, tied for 10th in the AHL. Gourde scored his league-leading fourth shorthanded goal Sunday; he's tied for the lead in shorthanded points (5). Gourde has appeared in 47 of 49 games this season, most on the team.
Other players of note from Week 18 include Matt Taormina (2a), Matthew Peca (2a), Jeremy Morin (1g, 1a, including his first career penalty shot goal), Slater Koekkoek (2a) and Joel Vermin (2g). Matthew Brodeur was plus-3 in Week 18 and leads the Crunch at plus-13. Cam Darcy scored his second goal of the season Saturday, his first since Oct. 29.
Upcoming: Albany, St. John's
The first-place Crunch visit the second-place Devils Wednesday, the fifth of eight matchups in the season series. Syracuse won the first two (at the War Memorial), but Albany took the last two (at Times Union Center). The Devils (28-21-1-1) suffered a 6-2 setback Sunday in Toronto after starting the weekend with two wins. Syracuse and Albany are No. 1 and No. 2 in PIM average.
John Quenneville leads Albany with 33 points, tied for seventh among AHL rookies. His 23 assists lead the team and rank fifth among rookies. Two of his 10 goals have come against the Crunch. Ben Sexton leads Albany in goals (17), and game-winning goals (4). He's the only Devil with more than two points vs. Syracuse (1g, 2a).
Ken Appleby (14-10-0) has the AHL's 10th best goals-against average (2.42), third among rookies. He's 2-1 against the Crunch, but is 1-3-0 with 17 goals allowed in four games since beating Syracuse Feb. 2, 3-2.
Yanni Gourde has six points (3g, 3a) against the Devils Adam Wilcox and Kristers Gudlevskis each have a win over the Devils with five goals allowed.
The IceCaps host the Crunch Saturday at 6 p.m. and Sunday at 2:30 p.m., the final regular season games for Syracuse in Newfoundland with the club's pending relocation to Laval, Quebec, next season.
St. John's, fourth in the North Division at 23-21-6-1, followed a 2-4-2 homestand with a 3-3-0 road trip. Returning for a six-game homestand Tuesday, the IceCaps lost to Binghamton 3-2 in overtime.
Chris Terry leads the team in scoring at 42 points (17, 25a), despite missing 18 of the team's 51 games. Charles Hudon is second on the team at 29 points (16g, 13a) in 30 games. Max Friberg has four points vs. Syracuse.
Charlie Lindgren (16-13-4) is third in the AHL in minutes and losses. He's backed up by Yann Danis (7-5-3).
Cory Conacher has seven points (2g, 5a) against St. John's to lead the series. Adam Wilcox earned both wins, while Kristers Gudlevskis took both overtime defeats.
Week 18 Results
Friday, Feb. 10 | Game 47 vs. Binghamton | L, 3-2
BNG 1 1 1 - 3 Shots: 4-11-7-22 PP: 0/3
SYR 0 1 1 - 2 Shots: 10-8-9-27 PP: 0/4
2nd Per. - Vermin 10 (Conacher, Gourde), 17:22. 3rd Per. - Morin 9 9:03 (PS). Wilcox 16-8-3 (22 shots-19 saves).
Saturday, Feb. 11 | Game 48 vs. Rochester | W, 5-2
RCH 1 1 0 - 2 Shots: 10-9-8-27 PP: 0/7
SYR 2 1 2 - 5 Shots: 8-9-13-30 PP: 3/7
1st Per. - Gourde 17 (Taormina, Conacher), 2:28 (PP). Darcy 2 (Letourneau-Leblond, Morin), 3:34. 2nd Per. - Erne 9 (Koekkoek, Gourde), 3:43. 3rd Per. - Conacher 10 (Peca, Erne), 4:09 (PP). Erne 10 (Taormina), 19:36 (PP EN). Gudlevskis 8-7-6 (27 shots-25 saves).
Sunday, Feb. 12 | Game 49 at Utica | W, 3-2
SYR 1 2 0 - 3 Shots: 8-8-1-17 PP: 0/3
UTI 0 1 1 - 2 Shots: 15-18-8-41 PP: 1/5
1st Per. - Erne 11 (Brodeur, Koekkoek), 6:54. 2nd Per. - Gourde 18 (Conacher), 5:52 (SH). Vermin 11 (Peca), 13:25. Gudlevskis 9-7-6 (41 shots-39 saves).
Category standings (previous week)
Power Play 15.5% (35-for-226) 21st (24th)
Penalty Kill 84.4% (179-for-212) 5th (9th)
Goals For 3.04 GFA (149) 12th (10th)
Goals Against 2.90 GAA (142) 16th (21st)
Shots For 29.57 SF/G (1449) 14th (13th)
Shots Against 26.41 SA/G (1294) 1st (1st)
Penalty Minutes 16.67 PIM/G (817) 2nd (4th)
Points 42 Conacher
Goals 18 Gourde
Assists 32 Conacher
PIM 88 Letourneau-Leblond
Plus/Minus +13 Brodeur
Wins 16 Wilcox
GAA 2.67 Wilcox, Gudlevskis
Save % .900 Wilcox
Syracuse Crunch single game and season tickets for the 2016-17 season are on sale now and can be purchased either in person at the Crunch office located in the War Memorial Arena at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse or by calling the office at 315-473-4444. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter ( @SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram ( @syracusecrunch) using #SyrCrunch, #WeAreOne and #BLUnited.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 15, 2017
- Third-Period Rally Lifts Admirals over Rampage 5-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- Devils Dominate Crunch in 6-1 Victory - Albany Devils
- Comets Overcome Marlies in Home Victory - Utica Comets
- Devils Outplay Crunch, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Harpur's Big Night Helps B-Sens over IceCaps 6-4 - Binghamton Senators
- Nothing Past Glass as Hogs Win Fourth Straight - Rockford IceHogs
- IceCaps Can't Catch Senators - St. John's IceCaps
- Anaheim Ducks Announce Roster Move - San Diego Gulls
- Wolf Pack Return Allan McPherson, Spiro Goulakos To ECHL Greenville - Hartford Wolf Pack
- This Weekend's Great Skate Winterfest Cancelled - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Fan Experience Sweepstakes Presented by Time Warner - Syracuse Crunch
- Boston Bruins and Atlanta Gladiators Extend Affiliation Agreement - Providence Bruins
- Griffins Buck Moose, 7-5 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Sneaker Expo Presented by Ambition Upstate - Syracuse Crunch
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Sneaker Expo Presented by Ambition Upstate - Syracuse Crunch
- Manitoba Falls to Grand Rapids in High-Scoring Affair - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Shut Down by IceHogs, 2-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Gilbert Departs Reign; Kings Acquire Conditional Fifth-Round Pick - Ontario Reign
- LaDue Returns to Kings; Kempe Earns First NHL Call-Up - Ontario Reign
- The Sound Tigers Report: Week 18 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Condors Host Youth Jersey Night on Friday against San Diego - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - February 15, 2017 - Vol. 23, No. 18 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks to Host Youth Hockey Night Presented by Ur Sports Medicine - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Host Wild at Citizens Business Bank - Ontario Reign
- Nightingale Signs Standard Contract with Wolves - Chicago Wolves
- Gulls Defeat Wild 5-1, Win Sixth Consecutive Home Game - San Diego Gulls
- Hogs Host Cleveland on Annual School Day Game - Rockford IceHogs
- Hogs to Recognize Local State Champs Friday - Rockford IceHogs
- Gulls End Iowa Streaks with 5-1 Victory - Iowa Wild
- Penguins Even Rivalry Series on Valentine's Day - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Penguins Win Big against Phantoms Again, 5-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Daniel Walcott Named Syracuse Crunch's 2019-20 IOA/American Specialty AHL Man of the Year
- Syracuse Crunch, Utica Comets, Binghamton Devils, Rochester Americans Partner with American Red Cross to Announce New York Hockey Gives Blood
- Syracuse Crunch Announce Fuel the Force Initiative with Tully's Good Times and CopperTop Tavern
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Goaltender Clint Windsor to AHL Contract
- Syracuse Crunch Issue Statement Regarding the Suspension of the 2019-20 Season