Sky Blue FC Selects Henderson, Levin in First Round
Kansas City, Mo. (Friday, January 13, 2012) - Sky Blue FC was busy from the onset of the 2012 Women's Professional Soccer (WPS) Draft, selecting twice in the first four picks of the opening round. With its first selection at second overall, the team took forward Melissa Henderson of Notre Dame, and the team then added versatile Stanford product Camille Levin with the fourth pick of the draft.
Henderson, a two-time NSCAA All-American, registered 44 points on 18 goals and eight assists this past fall for the Fighting Irish. Over her four seasons in South Bend, she tallied 70 total goals, including 24 game-winners, to go along with 26 assists for a total of 166 points during her prolific college career. The Texas native ranks fourth in program history for goals and sits ninth in the school record books in points. The four-time All-Big East selection was the winner of the 2010 Honda Sports Award, also helping Notre Dame to three NCAA College Cup appearances. Two of those three showings included trips to the championship game, including an NCAA Title in 2010 when the Fighting Irish defeated Stanford, 1-0. On the international scene, Henderson has played at every youth level of the U.S. National Team and was most recently called into camp with the full national team this past December.
Levin comes to Sky Blue FC with experience at virtually every position on the field. The California native was named a First Team NSCAA All-American this past season as a defender, also helping Stanford raise an NCAA Championship following a 1-0 victory of Duke. The versatile Levin has been a key member of a Cardinal side which has reached four consecutive NCAA College Cup Final Fours, including three consecutive championship appearances. Despite spending much of her time in Palo Alto on the Stanford back line, she was still a big contributor on the offensive end and tallied 35 career points on 10 goals and 15 assists.
Don't miss out on the excitement of Women's Professional Soccer! 2012 Sky Blue FC season and flex tickets are currently on sale now, beginning at less than $100. Get your tickets today by calling 888-SBFC-TIX.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from January 13, 2012
- Atlanta Beat's 2012 Draft Day Recap - Atlanta Beat
- Wells, Mastroianni and Heyboer Taken in Final Three Rounds - Sky Blue FC
- Independence Adds Depth, Strengthens Frontline At 2012 WPS Draft - Philadelphia Independence
- Leroux Goes First in 2012 WPS Draft - WPS
- Flash Score Hermann Trophy Winner Teresa Noyola in WPS 2012 Draft - Western New York Flash
- Sky Blue FC Selects Henderson, Levin in First Round - Sky Blue FC
- Beat Draft Sydney Leroux as No. 1 Overall Pick - Atlanta Beat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sky Blue FC Stories
- Sky Blue FC Allocated Three Players from U.S. Soccer and Canada Soccer
- Sky Blue FC Announces 2021 Preseason Roster
- Sky Blue FC Head Coach Freya Coombe Announces 2021 Technical Staff
- Sky Blue FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper DiDi Haracic for 2021 NWSL Season
- Sky Blue FC Re-Signs Goalkeeper Megan Hinz for 2021 NWSL Season