Sky Blue FC Hands Red Stars First Road Defeat
PISCATAWAY, N.J. - The Chicago Red Stars are undefeated on the road no more.
Rosana scored an unassisted goal in the 24th minute to put Sky Blue FC past the Red Stars, 1-0, Wednesday night at Yurcak Field on the campus of Rutgers University.
Rosana's goal followed a Chicago foul by Megan Rapinoe against Heather O'Reilly along the right touchline. Off the resulting free kick, O'Reilly crossed the ball into the box where it bounced around before finding its way to Rosana's foot. The Brazilian native buried her shot from the top of the 6-yard box for her second goal of the season.
The Red Stars got a pair of strong chances early in the second half from forward Danesha Adams, who made her first start of the season in the contest, but Sky Blue FC goalkeeper Jenni Branam was up to the challenge on each.
Sky Blue FC outshot Chicago, 13-8, with each team putting five shots on target. Branam recorded five saves, one better than Red Stars goalkeeper Caroline Jönsson.
The loss ends a streak of three consecutive ties for Chicago (2-4-5), who was the lone remaining unbeaten road team in Women's Professional Soccer. The Red Stars' attack was held without a goal for the sixth time in 11 matches this season.
Sky Blue FC (3-5-3) jumps past the Red Stars in the WPS standings and into a three-way tie for fourth place. Chicago slips to seventh place in the standings.
The Red Stars return home to TOYOTA PARK on Sunday, June 21, to face Kristine Lilly and the Boston Breakers at 3 pm. The Father's Day match will feature a special car show in the parking lot before the game. Family four packs are available for the match, featuring four tickets, four hot dogs and four soft drinks and starting at just $64. Be among the first 50 to purchase a four pack and receive a free Kristine Lilly bobble head! Four packs purchased in Premier and Midfield seating sections also include a family photo taken on the sidelines following the game. Tickets are available by calling (866) WPS-2009 or logging on to www.chicagoredstars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Women's Professional Soccer message board...
Women's Professional Soccer Stories from June 17, 2009
- Sky Blue FC Moves Up the Standings with Victory over Red Stars - Sky Blue FC
- Sky Blue FC Hands Red Stars First Road Defeat - Chicago Red Stars
- Atlanta WPS Team Names General Manager - Atlanta Beat
- Atlanta WPS Team Names Shawn Mcgee General Manager - Atlanta Beat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Red Stars Stories
- Chicago Red Stars Introduce Groundbreaking New Ownership Group
- Six Chicago Red Stars Named to 2021 Allocated Player List
- Chicago Red Stars Rename Press Row in Honor of Ida B. Wells
- Casey Krueger Called up to U.S. SheBelieves Cup Roster
- Chicago Waives Hannah Davison