Shuckers Halt Biscuits, 7-3
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (12-17) played through a rain delay, but came up short in their 7-3 loss to the Biloxi Shuckers (12-18) on Sunday afternoon's series finale at Riverwalk Stadium.
Tommy Romero made his fifth start of the season for the Biscuits and cruised through the first inning with a couple of strikeouts. The Shuckers jumped on the righty in the second though with six different batters swinging at the first pitch. Romero allowed a sac fly to Chad Spanberger, but wiggled out of a bases-loaded jam later in the frame and kept it a 1-0 deficit. The sac fly was Romero's first earned run allowed in a month.
Ethan Small was on the other side for the Shuckers, and the lefty continued to keep the Biscuits off-balance as he did on Tuesday when he struck out a career-high 11, by ringing up four more through the first two scoreless frames. Small finished with eight strikeouts over 5.2 innings.
The Shuckers would tack on two more runs off Romero in the fourth courtesy of a Brent Diaz RBI-single and another sac fly-this one from Tyler Friis-to make it a 3-0 contest. Brian Shaffer came on for Romero in the fifth and worked back-to-back one-two-three innings before rain delayed the game 30 minutes in the bottom of the sixth.
After play resumed, the Biscuits scored three runs in the bottom of the seventh to tie it, thanks to a couple of Shuckers' errors and wild pitches. But Tristen Lutz broke the 3-3 tie and gave Biloxi the lead back for good with a two-run homer to right off Joel Peguero (0-4) to make it 5-3. Lutz added a two-run double off Jack Laboksy in the eighth to make it 7-3.
The Biscuits will have an off-day on Monday, and will then stay at home next week and open up another six-game home stand with the Birmingham Barons beginning on a Golden Biscuits Tuesday on June 8 when LHP Faustino Carrera (1-2) will battle against LHP Konnor Pilkington (1-0) at 6:35 PM CT.
The rest of the series will include a Military Wednesday presented by WOW! on June 9; Sweet to Teachers Night with a T-Shirt Giveaway on Thursday, June 10; A Reversible Bucket Hat Giveaway presented by Gipson's Tire Pros on Friday, June 11; Family Faith Night with MAX Fireworks on Saturday, June 12; and a Toothbrush Holder Giveaway by Dentistry for Children on Sunday, June 13.
• Discuss this story on the Double-A South League message board...
Double-A South League Stories from June 6, 2021
- Jake Eder Throws 5 Perfect Innings, But Pensacola Falls in Series Finale - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Lutz' Late Heroics Salvage Shuckers Victory - Biloxi Shuckers
- M-Braves Hold off Blue Wahoos Sunday, Split Series - Mississippi Braves
- Shuckers Halt Biscuits, 7-3 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Smokies, Barons Rained out on Sunday - Tennessee Smokies
- Trash Pandas, Lookouts Rained out on Sunday - Rocket City Trash Pandas
- Sunday, June 6 at Pensacola Blue Wahoos: 4:00 PM: Blue Wahoos Stadium - Mississippi Braves
- Detmers and Dingers Lift Rocket City over Chattanooga - Rocket City Trash Pandas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.