San Antonio FC Falls to Tulsa Roughnecks 1-2
TULSA, OK - San Antonio FC (12-10-7) fell 1-2 to Tulsa Roughnecks FC (3-14-11) at ONEOK Field on Saturday night. A goal from forward Cesar Elizondo was not enough to salvage points on the road in the first of three away matches in the span of eight days for the club.
"We have a short space of time between games," SAFC Head Coach Darren Powell said. "Obviously we're disappointed tonight and felt we could've gotten more out of that game, in particular in the second half. Now all our focus has to go to preparing for Wednesday night."
SAFC opened the scoring in the 18th minute after forward Ever Guzman beat goalkeeper Fabian Cerda to the ball and passed it back to Elizondo. The Costa Rica native buried the shot from the top of the box to gain the 1-0 lead. The goal marks the second this season for Elizondo and his first since June 16.
The Roughnecks equalized in the 37th minute after the Alamo City club conceded a penalty kick following a foul in the box, which was converted by defender Nemanja Vucovic. The hosts added another in the 57th minute after a good team buildup led to a goal by midfielder Eti Tavarez to make it 2-1.
SAFC was unable to bounce back despite creating a handful of dangerous chances. The club outshot the Roughnecks 11-7, recorded five shots on target compared to their four, and had the edge in the possession with 55.5 percent. Defender Darnell King led the squad on the defensive end with six tackles, two clearances, and three interceptions.
San Antonio FC will return to action on Wednesday, Sept. 19 as they visit Swope Park Rangers. The club will then face another quick turnaround as they face Saint Louis FC on the road just three days later
SAFC: 1-0, Cesar Elizondo (Ever Guzman assist) 19'
Roughnecks FC: 1-1, Nemanja Vukovic (penalty) 38'
Roughnecks FC: 1-2, Eti Tavares (Jesus Ferreira assist) 57'
Roughnecks FC: Yellow Card (Ivan Mirkovic 45')
Roughnecks FC: Yellow Card (Adriano Jusino 90')
SAFC: Yellow Card (Omar Gordon 90')
SAFC Starting XI: GK: Matthew Cardone; D: Darnell King, Cyprian Hedrick (Charlie Ward 88'), Moises Hernandez, Greg Cochrane (c); M: Mikey Lopez, Pecka (Mike Seth 78'), Omar Gordon, Lance Laing, Cesar Elizondo (Maxi Rodriguez 58'); F: Ever Guzman
Substitutions Not Used: Armando Quezada, Ethan Bryant, Ryan Felix, Connor Presley
San Antonio FC saw its three-match winning streak come to an end at Tulsa...marks the first loss in USL play to Tulsa in SAFC history...the Alamo City club is now 5-1-1 all-time vs. the Roughnecks in the regular season, 1-0-0 in playoff competition and 0-1-0 in the Open Cup
San Antonio FC forward Cesar Elizondo recorded his second goal of the season and first goal since 6/16 vs. Sacramento...the Costa Rican missed the last 10 matches due to injury
San Antonio FC forward Ever Guzman recorded his second assist of the season...Guzman has now scored or recorded an assist in four straight matches
San Antonio FC outshot Tulsa 11-7 and out-possessed the Roughnecks 55.5 percent - 44.5 percent...the club made 82 more passes than the Roughnecks and two more corners
SAFC defender Darnell King recorded six tackles, three interceptions and two clearances on the night while adding an 84.1 percent passing accuracy...King led the team with 12 duels, winning 75 percent of them on the night
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 15, 2018
- Roughnecks Edge San Antonio 2-1 - Tulsa Roughnecks FC
- Switchbacks Split the Points with Rio Grande Valley FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Atlanta United 2 Falls at Tampa Bay 1-0 - Atlanta United 2
- Guenzatti Fires Tampa Bay Rowdies Past Atlanta 1-0 - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- San Antonio FC Falls to Tulsa Roughnecks 1-2 - San Antonio FC
- Hounds Come Back against Louisville, 2-2 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Kickers Downed by First Half Goals from Ottawa - Richmond Kickers
- Fury FC Shut Down the Kickers, Earn 2-0 Win - Ottawa Fury FC
- STLFC Wins 4-3 Away to Swope Park Rangers - Saint Louis FC
- Game Day Preview #PENvNC - Penn FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio FC Stories
- San Antonio FC to Celebrate Final Home Match with $1 Drink Night, Postgame Fireworks Show on Saturday
- San Antonio FC Forward Ever Guzman Named USL Championship Player of the Week
- San Antonio FC Earns Three Crucial Points in Seven-Goal Thriller at Portland
- San Antonio FC Travels to Face Portland Timbers 2 in Final Away Match of Regular Season
- Match Between Tigres UANL and Club Atletico de San Luis at Toyota Field Cancelled