Saint Louis Goal at the Death Downs Hartford 1-0
In Hartford Athletic's first-ever playoff match, a 90th-minute Saint Louis goal proved to be a dagger in what was a sensational match. The Boys in Green came up just short falling one-nil to Saint Louis FC in the first round of the Eastern Conference playoffs.
Saint Louis goalkeeper Kyle Morton stood on his head in the first half. Time after time Hartford was able to find spaces in the Saint Louis backline. Gabi Torres had two chances to put Athletic in front. If not for the keeper's fingertips, Hartford would have had the lead.
Hartford was the more dominant team in the first half and had the majority of the chances, Raidi JaÃ¯di stuck with the same group in the second half. However, in the 68th minute, Hartford was forced to make a change. After sprinting for a ball in behind, Hartford forward Ever GuzmÃ¡n pulled up holding his hamstring. The star striker was replaced by Marcus Naglestad and his tireless running and intelligence were missed for the remainder of the game.
Hartford continued to keep possession and make things happen in the Saint Louis defensive third. Danny Barrera came close, Alex Dixon almost stuck one in the top corner, and Markus Naglestad forced another save out of Kyle Morton.
After many fouls, referee calls, and penalty claims, Hartford was punished in the dying embers of the game. In added time Joaquin Rivas broke through the backline and the Hartford defense was split open. The striker buried a near-post shot past a helpless Parfait Mandanda to give Saint Louis a late lead.
Hartford hoofed up balls and tried to get the last opportunity, but it wasn't to be. Athletic deserved more and the fans felt it too, they were clapped off the pitch by a 40% capacity Dillon Stadium all the way into the locker rooms.
Shots (On-Target): Hartford Athletic 15 (5) - 10 (4) Saint Louis
Corners: Hartford Athletic 5-2 Saint Louis
Fouls: Hartford Athletic 17-12 Saint Louis
Offsides: Hartford Athletic 2-0 Saint Louis
Possession: Hartford Athletic 43.7%-56.3% Saint Louis
Passing Accuracy: Hartford Athletic 66.7%-76.6% Saint Louis
Saves: Hartford Athletic 3-5 Saint Louis
90+2' - Joaquin Rivas 0-1
16' - Matheus Silva (Yellow)
45+1' - Sam Strong (Yellow)
61' - Danny Barrera (Yellow)
73' - Kyle Greig (Yellow)
89' - Wal Fall (Yellow)
90+3' - Kevin Politz (Yellow)
HARTFORD ATHLETIC STARTING LINEUP:
35 (GK) Parfait Mandanda; 24 (D) Sam Strong, 4 (D) Kevin Politz, 3 (D) Matheus Silva; 25 (MF) Idan Cohen (Conor McGlynn, 81'), 10 (MF) Danny Barrera, 80 (MF) Justin Haak, 23 (MF) Aiden Mesias (Arthur Rogers, 57'), 16 (MF) Gabriel Torres; 99 (F) Ever GuzmÃ¡n (Markus Naglestad, 69'), 11 (F) Alex Dixon
SAINT LOUIS FC STARTING LINEUP:
1 (GK) Kyle Morton; 2 (D) Paris Gee, 21 (D) Tobi Adewole, 4 (D) Sam Fink, 3 (D) Phan Kauita, 9 (D) Russ Cicerone; 8 (MF) Guy Abend (Joaquin Rivas, 69'), 7 (MF) Todd Whorton, 5 (MF) Wal Fall; 22 (F) Kyle Greis, 14 (F) Tyler Blackwood (Mo Samb, 81')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 10, 2020
- Reno Dominates LA to Move on to Western Conference Semifinals - Reno 1868 FC
- LA Galaxy II Eliminated by Reno 1868 FC - LA Galaxy II
- LouCity Shuts out Pittsburgh, Advances in Playoffs - Louisville City FC
- Legion FC Falls in Conference Quarterfinals - Birmingham Legion FC
- Hounds Fall to Louisville in Conference Quarterfinals - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Saint Louis Goal at the Death Downs Hartford 1-0 - Hartford Athletic
- STLFC Advances in Playoffs with 1-0 Win over Hartford Athletic - Saint Louis FC
- Rising hosts Sacramento tonight at 7:30 PM on CW61 Arizona, ESPN+ and ESPN 620 - Phoenix Rising FC
- Playoff Game Day: Follow Along with LouCity-Pittsburgh - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Athletic Stories
- The Roundup: Fans' Choice Awards
- Hartford Athletic 2020 Season Community Wrap Up
- Hartford Athletic: 5 Takeaways from the USL Championship Club's 2020 Season
- Match for a Cause Raises over $19,000 for Boys & Girls Clubs of Hartford
- Saint Louis Goal at the Death Downs Hartford 1-0