Riveters and New Jersey Devils Team up to Establish Learn to Play Program Exclusively for Girls
In an effort to grow girls' hockey across the Garden State, the New Jersey Devils and Metropolitan Riveters of the National Women's Hockey League are teaming up to establish a Learn to Play program exclusively for girls. The program will take place at the RWJBarnabas Health Hockey House - the practice facility of the New Jersey Devils and the home of the Metropolitan Riveters during the Spring of 2019.
"My teammates on the Riveters and I are proud to collaborate with the New Jersey Devils in this meaningful program to advance girls' hockey across the region," said Riveters captain and NWHL All-Star Michelle Picard. "These important initiatives are a big part of what the NWHL and Riveters are all about. We're really looking forward to developing the next generation of players. Most of all, we know it's going to be a lot of fun for everyone involved."
As an extension of the NHL, NHLPA, and USA Hockey Learn to Play, this Girls Only Learn to Play program is open to first-time hockey players between the ages of five and nine. Registration includes eight weeks of on-ice practices led by Metropolitan Riveters players, New Jersey Devils Alumni and USA Hockey certified coaches. Each participant will also receive a brand-new set of CCM equipment including: an ice hockey helmet with a cage, shoulder pads, elbow pads, hockey gloves, hockey pants, shin guards, skates, a jersey, hockey socks, stick and an equipment bag in addition to a Metropolitan Riveters/New Jersey Devils gift bag.
On-Ice practices dates & times at the RWJBarnabas Health Hockey House:
1. Sunday April 7, 2019 2:00 pm - 3 pm
2. Sunday April 14, 2019 2:00 pm - 3 pm
3. Thursday April 25, 2019 6:45 pm - 7:45 pm
4. Sunday April 28, 2019 3:45 pm - 4:45 pm
5. Sunday May 5, 2019 11:45 am - 12:45 pm
6. Sunday May 12, 2019 11:45 am - 12:45 pm
7. Thursday May 16, 2019 6:45 pm - 7:45 pm
8. Sunday May 19, 2019 11:45 am - 12:45 pm
For more information and to register, visit newjerseydevils.com/learntoplay.
Come out to support the Metropolitan Riveters Monday, February 18, 2019 at 1 pm as they host Boston Pride at Barnabas Health Hockey House. Tickets are available at NWHL.zone/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from February 13, 2019
- Riveters and New Jersey Devils Team up to Establish Learn to Play Program Exclusively for Girls - Metropolitan Riveters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Metropolitan Riveters Stories
- Kate Whitman Annis Named General Manager of Riveters
- Riveters Advance to Isobel Cup Semifinal with 5-2 Win over Whale
- Riveters Ready to Defend Their Crown
- For Backstopping Rivs to Key Win, Fitzgerald Named VEDA NWHL Player of the Week
- Fitzgerald, Packer Star as Riveters Rally Past Beauts, 4-3, in Shootout