Real Monarchs SLC Drops 3-1 Result at Orange County SC
IRVINE, Calif. - Real Monarchs SLC (10-8-5, 35 points) dropped a 3-1 result on the road against Orange County SC at Championship Soccer Stadium on Saturday.
DF Kalen Ryden tallied the lone Monarchs goal and his second of the season in the loss.
The first half saw Real Monarchs and Orange County SC trade possession and opportunities, though it was Orange County that found the go-ahead goal through Michael Orozco. MF Maikel Chang found the strongest chance for Real Monarchs early in the 8th minute with a volley that put OCSC goalkeeper Aaron Cervantes to the test. OCSC found two however as Michael Orozco finished a corner opportunity and Darwin Jones finished a 1v1 one-on-one with GK Andrew Putna to tap it over to double the lead.
The Monarchs struggled out of the gate after the break as it fought hard to pull a goal back early on. OCSC picked up its third goal after Aodhan Quinn snuck a freekick opportunity under Putna. Ryden put the Monarchs on the board just past the hour-mark when he put away the headed effort from the corner kick at the far post. After Ryden's goal, OCSC swung momentum in its favor, putting the Monarchs defense to the test. The Monarchs backline answered, shutting down the late attack from the hosts, including a big deflection by Putna to end the match 3-1.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs SLC returns home to Herriman to face OKC Energy FC. The contest is scheduled for Friday, August 30 where kickoff from Zions Bank Stadium is set for 8:00 p.m. MT
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
OC: Michael Orozco (Aodhan Quinn), 28th minute: Orange County earned a corner kick that Aodhan Quinn served to the far post where Orozco rose above the crowd to head the ball down with a bounce into the back of the Monarchs net for the opening goal.
OC: Darwin Jones (Harry Forrester), 38th minute: Forrester found Darwin Jones making a run down the right side of the pitch with space to get around the Monarchs backline and one-on-one with Monarchs GK Andrew Putna. As Putna rushed out to put a stop to the attack, Jones perfectly put the ball over to double the Orange County SC lead.
OC: Aodhan Quinn, 52nd minute: Orange County SC picked up a freekick opportunity after an accidental handball. Quinn took the opportunity well and fired the shot low that GK Andrew Putna nearly got a stop to, but the ball snuck just below his arm to give OCSC its third.
SLC: Kalen Ryden (Justin Portillo), 61st minute: Mirroring the opening goal of the game, MF Justin Portillo served in the ball from the corner kick to the far post where Ryden rose above the to get the headed effort in past Cervantes to pull one back for the Monarchs.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
OC: Aaron Cervantes, 8th minute: FW Douglas Martinez sent the cross into the top of the box where MF Maikel Chang stood waiting to take the shot one-touch with the volley. The ball sent flying for what looked to be an early opening, but Goalkeeper Aaron Cervantes made a diving stop to deflect the ball over the crossbar to keep it level.
- DF Kalen Ryden earned his second goal of the season as he pulled one back on the scoreboard with his header from the corner kick.
- Real Monarchs SLC moves to a record of 6-2-2 in its last 10 games as it continues its push to secure a playoff position.
- The Monarchs have 11 games left, six of which are at home at Zions Bank Stadium where the Monarchs hold a record of 8-2-1 in the 2019 season.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC at Orange County SC
Date: August 24, 2019
Venue: Championship Soccer Stadium; Irvine, California
Weather: 74 degrees and clear skies
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 0 1 1
Orange County SC 2 1 3
OC: Michael Orozco (Aodhan Quinn), 28'
OC: Darwin Jones (Harry Forrester), 38'
OC: Aodhan Quinn, 52'
SLC: Kalen Ryden (Justin Portillo), 61'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Erik Holt, Noah Powder, Steve Jasso (James Moberg, 61'), Kalen Ryden; Luis Arriaga (Cristian Calix, 77'), Kyle Coffee (Julian Vázquez, 55'), Justin Portillo, Maikel Chang, Jack Blake; Douglas Martínez
Subs not used: Jordan Pena, Konrad Plewa, Luis Palma, Evan Finney
Orange County SC (4-2-3-1): Aaron Cervantes; Joseph Amico, Owusu-Ansah Kontor, Michael Orozco, Walker Hume; Harry Forrester (Edson Alvarado, 73'), Darwin Jones, Christian Duke, Aodhan Quinn, Jerry van Ewijk (Keven Coleman, 68'); Michael Seaton (Giovanni Godoy, 78')
Subs not used: Frederik Due, Leonardo, Daniel Crisostomo, Koji Hashimoto
Stats Summary: SLC/OC
Shots: 13 / 8
Shots on Goal: 4 / 5
Saves: 2 / 3
Corner Kicks: 9 / 5
Fouls: 9 / 10
Offside: 2 / 4
SLC - Steve Jasso (Caution) 51'
SLC - James Moberg (Caution) 63'
OC - Jerry van Ewijk (Caution) 64'
SLC - Maikel Chang (Caution) 74'
SLC - Kalen Ryden (Caution) 78'
SLC - Erik Holt (Caution) 90'+2
Referee: Farhad Dadkho
Assistant Referees: Jeffrey Skinker, Stephen McGonagle
4th Official: Steve Skille
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 25, 2019
- A physical night results in the Steel battling back, but falling to the Legion - Philadelphia Union II
- Legion FC Takes All Three Points from Chaotic Match at Bethlehem - Birmingham Legion FC
- Indy Eleven Extends Home Unbeaten Streak to 20 Games Via 3-1 Defeat of Charlotte Independence - Indy Eleven
- Mensah, Akinyode Turn in Man of the Match Performances - Nashville SC
- Lights FC Blanks Portland in 1-0 Win - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Del Campo, Kurimoto Spark Second-Half Comeback to Beat Colorado Springs - Fresno FC
- T2 Fall 1-0 on the Road to Las Vegas Lights FC Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Switchbacks FC Fall Late on the Road to Fresno FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops 3-1 Result at Orange County SC - Real Monarchs SLC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.