OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup
by David Carlson
June 26, 2019 - Canadian Football League (CFL)
BIG3 Comes in Small, CFL and PLL Fail to Rate
The BIG3 debuted this weekend with a Saturday night prime time showing on CBS similar to the inaugural Alliance of American Football broadcast back in February. Much as the NFL overshadows the NBA in ratings by about 3-4 times, alternative pro league football also overshadowed basketball by about the same amount. While over 3 million viewers took in the AAF contest the week after the Super Bowl, only a little over 900,000 watched the BIG3 Saturday night. Certainly winter vs. summer seasons play a part in this discrepancy, but the difference in interest between football and basketball in general also comes into play.
The PLL and CFL between them had four cable telecasts over the weekend, and three of them were not able to crack the Top 150 cable shows for Saturday or Sunday. While the ratings expectations of either of them are not likely very high, failing to crack even a .03 main demographic rating regularly can't be a positive sign for either league.
The WNBA had 265,000 viewers Sunday afternoon on ESPN. While not great, that number is about typical for them, and was certainly the highlight rating for alternative pro leagues this weekend on cable.
Last Week's OSC Leagues Ratings Summary:
|6/22||1pm||NBCSN||PLL||Not in top 150|
|6/22||9pm||ESPN2||CFL||Not in top 150|
|6/23||7pm||ESPN2||CFL||Not in top 150|
Follow OSC TV and ratings discussion at https://twitter.com/OsctvR
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from June 26, 2019
- Roughriders Select OL Jake Bennett in Supplemental Draft - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Stampeders Play Host to Lions - Calgary Stampeders
- Makana Henry, Nick Usher and Eddy Wilson II fined following Week 2 - CFL
- Cameron Jefferson Joins Practice Roster - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- This Week in the CFL â?? Week 3 - CFL
- Tiger-Cats Release WR Brian Jones - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.