New Additions Shine in Win at Port Huron
The Northern Kentucky River Monsters (4-3) took another step in their quest for the CIFL playoffs with a dominating 35-14 win in Port Huron against the Patriots (1-5) Saturday night. The River Monsters scored on their first drive Saturday night and never looked back and a TD pass from their new QB #10 Antonio Davis to receiver #8 Willie Idlette just 4 minutes into the game. Davis in his first game threw 2 TD passes, both to Idlette, #2 Kyle James added a TD pass late in the game to Aric Evans and added another rushing TD.
The Monster's Defense returned to early season form allowing just 7 first downs all night. The defense was once again lead by LB #1 Davis James who had 16 tackles (3 for losses) 3 Pass Break Ups and another outstanding performance to leads the league in tackles this season. Other outstanding defensive performances were displayed by safety #4 T.J.Harris with 3 interceptions and Defensive Back #20 Ontario Williams who had 12 tackles and 1 interception. A much improved defensive line was led by #99 Luke Scarborough who added 3 sacks and 6 tackles.
"Our team as a whole really stepped up tonight, especially our veterans the stat sheet won't show it but #57 D'arrell Brown played a great game at nose tackle tonight. Port Huron was forced to double team him all night which really freed up our defensive ends," stated Head Coach Mike Goodpaster after the game.
The special teams also dominated this game with newcomer #7 Jeff Ward who returned a missed field goal attempt for a 40 yd for a TD in the middle of the 3rd qtr. Kicker Dustin Zink had another perfect game on PATs for the second straight week converting all 5 he attempted. The River Monsters return home next Saturday night and kickoff will is set for 7:30 at the bank of Kentucky Center.
• Discuss this story on the Continental Indoor Football League message board...
Continental Indoor Football League Stories from March 31, 2014
- Player Spotlights: EJ Underwood & Mike Tatum - Marion Blue Racers
- Marion Signs Familiar Faces & All CIFL Center - Marion Blue Racers
- New Additions Shine in Win at Port Huron - Northern Kentucky River Monsters
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Northern Kentucky River Monsters Stories
- River Monsters to Suspend Operations Effective Immediately
- The Story of Rico and JR
- Monsters Win Against the Sharks 36-24, Move onto the Playoffs
- River Monsters Dominate Chicago, Get One Step Closer to Playoffs
- River Monsters' Dekota Marshall Called up by Calgary