Mr. Excitement named as af2 Ironman for 2003
CHICAGO - Greensboro's four-time af2 Ironman of the Week award winner BOBBY SIPPIO (6-3, 215, Western Kentucky) was named arenafootball2 Ironman of the Year Tuesday.
The former Hilltopper led the Prowlers both offensively and defensively despite only playing 13 games. Sippio quickly established himself as a deep threat for Greensboro and averaged an af2 record 17.7 yards per reception. His 57 catches for 1,009 yards were team highs in 2003, as too were his 27 touchdown receptions.
Defensively, Sippio led the Prowlers in tackles (56.5), interceptions (5) and pass breakups (14) while also scoring a defensive touchdown. The Ironman also figured on special teams, racking up 907 kick-off return yards and two touchdowns.
Sippio earned an af2 record of four Ironman of the Week awards in 2003, including an unprecedented three in a row. The rookie helped the Prowlers to a 9-7 record and their first-ever winning season.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from August 19, 2003
- Q&A with Macon head coach Kevin Porter - af2
- Mr. Excitement named as af2 Ironman for 2003 - Greensboro Prowlers
- Conquest Extend Thanks after Second Season - Albany Firebirds
- af2 Names Weekly Honorees - af2
- Sippio Named Ironman of the Year - af2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.