Millrats Select Two Wildcats In PBL Draft
(Chicago, IL): The Manchester Millrats selected two University of New Hampshire Wildcats in the Premier Basketball League draft, held today at the ESPNZone in Chicago.
With their first round selection, the Millrats chose 6'0 point guard Eric Gilchrese at 8th overall. And with their 2nd and final pick, the 17th overall selection, they chose 6'3 shooting guard Tyrece Gibbs. Both Gilchrese and Gibbs graduated from UNH this spring.
Gilchrese, a slick point guard from Springfield, Illinois with a penchant for defense and a deadly outside stroke (39% from three point range), should fit in well with the Millrats up and down style of play. During his junior campaign in Durham he averaged a solid 10.2 ppg, 2.8 apg, 2.5 rpg, and 1.5 spg.
Gibbs, who hails from Brockton, Massachusetts, is a powerful wing player with great athletic ability and a solid outside shot (40% from three point range). Gibbs is only the 2nd player in UNH history to record at least 1,000 points, 400 rebounds, 200 assists, 80 steals, and 45 blocks during his career. During his senior year at UNH, he averaged 14.6 ppg, 2.3 apg, and 4.5 rpg.
"We are escstatic to bring in two college teammates who played together at the division one level, here in the State," explained Millrats GM Ian McCarthy. "Eric is a heady guard and Tyrece brings tremendous aggressives and ability, and although they are both rookies we think they can compete at this level."
The Millrats will be hosting a veteran's invitation-only tryout camp in late November, followed by training camp which begins December 12th. The Premier Basketball League season opens January 1st.
The complete PBL draft went as follows:
1. Capitanes de Puerto Rico - Hakkim Johnson 6'7 G (Pikeville College)
2. Lawton Fort-Sill Cavs - Cameron Benison 6'7 F (Globe Tech)
3. Maryland Greenhawks - Byron Mouton 6'6 F (Maryland)
4. Buffalo Stampeded - Maurice Smith 6'5 G (Rockford College)
5. Quebec Kebs - Milton Bell 6'7 F (Georgetown)
6. Halifax Rainmen - Omar Weaver 6'7 F (Riverside CC)
7. Vermont Frost Heaves - Ken Ottrix 6'9 F-C (Slippery Rock)
8. Manchester Millrats - Eric Gilchrese 6'0 PG (New Hampshire)
9. Rochester Razorsharks - Jermaine Middleton 7'3 C (Northwood)
10. Maryland Greenhawks - Travis Lay 6'5 G (American)
11. Lawton Fort-Sill Cavs - Wade Dunston 6'4 G (St. Bonaventure)
12. Capitanes de Puerto Rico - no selection
13. Buffalo Stampede - Elzie Bibbs 6'5 F (Ferris State)
14. Quebec Kebs - Joseph Flegler 5'9 PG (Savannah State)
15. Halifax Rainmen - Devin Norris 6'3 G (Dalhousie University)
16. Vermont Frost Heaves - Marcus Hall 6'5 G (Robert Morris)
17. Manchester Millrats - Tyrece Gibbs 6'3 G (New Hampshire)
18. Rochester Razorsharks - David Bailey 6'9 F-C (Prince Georges CC)
The Manchester Millrats recently completed a very successful second season, finishing 16-4 and winning the Atlantic Division of the Premier Basketball League.
• Discuss this story on the Premier Basketball League message board...
Premier Basketball League Stories from October 29, 2009
- Millrats Select Two Wildcats In PBL Draft - Saint John Riptide
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.