Lumberjacks Part Ways with Head Coach John LaFontaine
MUSKEGON, MI- The Muskegon Lumberjacks will not renew the contract of head coach John LaFontaine, general manager John Vanbiesbrouck announced Monday.
"John is a tremendous person and good developer of talent," said Vanbiesbrouck. "We wish him nothing but the best."
LaFontaine, a native of Pontiac, MI, was hired before the 2016-17 season and amassed a regular-season record of 70-43-7 (.613) in two seasons behind the Lumberjacks' bench. The Jacks' record of 37-18-5 in 2016-17 set a team record for wins and points in a single season.
LaFontaine became the first head coach to guide Muskegon to the playoffs in back-to-back seasons, but failed to win either playoff series he coached in the USHL. In the 2017 playoffs, the Jacks fell to the Dubuque Fighting Saints in four games (five-game series); in 2018, Muskegon won game one, but eventually fell in three games to the Chicago Steel in a first-round, best-of-three series.
"We will work hard toward the draft, our camps, and finding the best person to lead us into the future," said Vanbiesbrouck.
Vanbiesbrouck, who just completed his fifth year as Muskegon's GM, will retain assistant coach Josh Nelson, video coach Mike Hamilton and goaltending coach Dave DeSander.
Vanbiesbrouck and the Jacks now look ahead to the USHL draft. Phase I is scheduled for May 7, with Phase II the following day, May 8.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from April 23, 2018
- Stars Weekly - Lincoln Stars
- Stars Host Playoff Games this Wednesday and Thursday against Waterloo - Lincoln Stars
- Boeser Nominated for NHL Honor - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Lumberjacks Part Ways with Head Coach John LaFontaine - Muskegon Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Muskegon Lumberjacks Stories
- Muskegon's Offense Clicks Again vs Team USA U17s, Claim 7-3 Win
- Muskegon Improves to 5-0 Versus Central Illinois with 5-1 Win
- Muskegon Lumberjacks Lose Lead Late, Fall to Sioux Falls 3-2
- Muskegon Cruises Past Sioux Falls 5-3 in Return Home
- Muskegon Drops First Game of Season to Rival Chicago