Knights Fall to Bulls 5-2 Monday
Knights Fall to Bulls 5-2 Monday Jacob May and Cody Asche Both Homered for Charlotte
(UPTOWN CHARLOTTE, NC) -- The Charlotte Knights dropped the opening game of their four-game series to the Durham Bulls by a score of 5-2 from BB&T Ballpark in Uptown Charlotte on Monday evening. Durham scored four runs in the ninth inning for the come-from-behind win. The loss snapped Charlotte's two-game winning streak.
RHP Brad Goldberg (3-2, 3.35) came on in the top of the ninth inning with a 2-1 lead, but was unable to convert the save. Goldberg allowed four runs on three hits in the ninth inning and was saddled with the loss. The Bulls scored three of their four runs in the inning on a three-run triple by Shane Peterson. Durham reliever Chaz Roe struck-out two Charlotte batters in the ninth inning to earn his third save of the season.
Offensively for the Knights, outfielders Jacob May and Cody Asche both homered in the opener. May put the Knights on the scoreboard first with a solo home run in the bottom of the fourth inning off Durham reliever Chase Whitley. The home run was May's fourth of the season.
The Bulls tied the game in the top of the fifth inning against Charlotte starter Jean Machi, who was solid over five innings on Monday. Durham center fielder Johnny Field singled home Trevor Plouffe in the fifth inning, which tied the game at 1-1. Machi allowed just one run on two hits over five innings in his first start of the season with the Knights.
With the game knotted at 1-1, Asche launched a go-ahead solo home run in the bottom of the seventh inning to give the Knights a 2-1 lead. The home run was Asche's 12th of the season and it gave the Knights a one-run lead into the ninth.
The Knights will continue their four-game series on Tuesday against the Durham Bulls. First pitch on Tuesday is on tap for 7:05 p.m. and gates will open at 6:00 p.m. on Turnback Tuesday. The first 2,000 fans through the gates will receive a bobblehead of WBTV News Anchor Paul Cameron.
Pre-game radio coverage of Tuesday's opener will begin at 6:50 p.m. on ESPN Charlotte (730 AM) and CharlotteKnights.com. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad and long-time Charlotte Knights broadcaster Mike Pacheco will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2017
- 8.28.17 Long Vall Carries RailRiders to IL North Title - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- 8.28.17 Walker's Walk-Off Homer Puts Tribe Clinch on H - Indianapolis Indians
- Soto, Rogers Lead Chiefs Past IronPigs - Syracuse Chiefs
- Knights Fall to Bulls 5-2 Monday - Charlotte Knights
- Norfolk 9, Gwinnett 4 - Norfolk Tides
- PawSox Set Franchise Record with 18th Shutout Win - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Knights Power Past G-Braves 12-5 Sunday - Charlotte Knights
- Weekly Sports League & Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Knights Announce 2018 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Tonight's Game Canceled Due to Inclement Weather
- Knights Unveil 2018 Promotional Lineup for 5th Season in Uptown Charlotte
- David Justice, Ham Porter, Million Dollar Man Among Celebs to Appear at Knights' Games in 2018
- Grudzielanek Returns to Manage Knights for 2018 Season