Kessy Propels Oilers with Late Short-Handed Goal
ALLEN, TX - The Tulsa Oilers picked up two points in a 2-1 regulation win Monday afternoon against the Allen Americans thanks to a late short-handed goal from Kale Kessy at the Allen Event Center.
Kessy's goal with 4:33 to play in the third period broke a 1-1 tie and gave Tulsa its league-leading ninth short-handed goal of the season. He also assisted on the Oilers' first goal. Jake Hildebrand stopped 33 of 34 shots in a bounce back win against his old team.
The Oilers narrowly outshot the Americans 13-12 in a scoreless first period, and Tulsa killed off two Allen power plays in the frame. Dylan Hubbs gave Tulsa the game's first lead 2:47 into the second period, when his centering pass went off an Allen stick and into the Americans net.
Late in the frame, the Americans tied the score at 1-1 on a short power play, when Eric Roy set up Bryan Moore for a goal into a wide open net on a shot from the right circle. Stephon Williams helped keep the game tied with 38 saves on 40 shots, but was outdueled by Hildebrand, who earned his tenth win.
Tulsa is now just seven points behind Allen for the fourth and final playoff spot with 34 games to play in the regular season, including two more meetings with the Americans.
The Oilers return home this weekend to host the Idaho Steelheads Friday and Saturday at 7:05pm both nights on the York Plumbing Ice at the BOK Center. Tulsa then hosts Colorado Sunday at 4:05pm to wrap up the weekend.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from January 17, 2018
- Colorado's Cannata named CCM ECHL Goaltender of the Week - ECHL
- Shore Named Sher-Wood Hockey ECHL Player of the Week - Florida Everblades
- Quad City Mallards signed forward Chris Izmirlian - Quad City Mallards
- Mallards Welcome Fans to Marvel Super Hero Night Friday - Quad City Mallards
- Thunder Weekly Update - Wichita Thunder
- INDY FUEL PIT STOP Weekly - Indy Fuel
- Format Announced for 2019 CCM/ECHL All-Star Classic - ECHL
- McCarthy Recalled from Loan by Lehigh Valley - Reading Royals
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, January 15 - Wheeling Nailers
- Rush Finish Road Trip with Win - Rapid City Rush
- Graves, Paterson Head to AHL; O'Connor Returns - Quad City Mallards
- Kessy Propels Oilers with Late Short-Handed Goal - Tulsa Oilers
- Mountain Division Wins 2018 Ccm/ECHL All-Star Classic - Indy Fuel
- Besse Nets Five Points at 2018 ECHL All-Star Classic - Norfolk Admirals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.