Kenin Headlines Abu Dhabi WTA Women's Tennis Open As No. 1 Seed
The first week of the 2021 WTA season is officially underway this week with the beginning of the Abu Dhabi WTA Women's Tennis Open. Freedoms star Sofia Kenin headlines the singles draw as the No. 1 seed.
World No. 4 Kenin, who claimed her first Grand Slam title one year ago at the Australian Open, will face one of the eight women who will make it through the qualifying draw over the next two days. The 22-year-old American made her World TeamTennis and Freedoms debut at The Greenbrier during the 2020 season.
No. 5 seed Garbiñe Muguruza was drawn into the same quarter as Kenin setting up a potential rematch of the 2020 Australian Open final in the quarterfinals of the Abu Dhabi event.
Ajla Tomljanovic (Vegas Rollers), Jennifer Brady (Orange County Breakers), and Jessica Pegula (Orlando Storm) will also represent World TeamTennis in the singles draw.
• Discuss this story on the World TeamTennis message board...
World TeamTennis Stories from January 6, 2021
- Q&A with Andreja Klepac - Orange County Breakers
- Kenin Headlines Abu Dhabi WTA Women's Tennis Open As No. 1 Seed - Philadelphia Freedoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Freedoms Stories
- Kenin Headlines Abu Dhabi WTA Women's Tennis Open As No. 1 Seed
- Sofia Kenin Named 2020 WTA Player of the Year
- Philadelphia Freedoms Focus on Team Chemistry a Key Ingredient in Another Successful Season
- Philadelphia Handles New York in a Preview of the WTT Semifinals Match
- Philadelphia Locks up No. 1 Seed in WTT Playoffs; Beats Chicago in Supertiebreaker Thriller