FC Tucson Re-Signs Defender Samuel Biek
TUCSON, Ariz. - FC Tucson announced today that the club has re-signed defender Samuel "Sam" Biek, pending league and federation approval.
Beik is the second returning defender for the 2021 USL League One season. 2021 will mark the Marburg, Germany native's second season with FC Tucson. Biek signed with FC Tucson in July 2020, following a season with NCAA Division 1's Western Michigan University (WMU) and made his league debut on July 25, 2020, against Fort Lauderdale CF.
"Sam had a great season for us in 2020, and we are certainly excited to welcome him back to the club for the 2021 season. He was an anchor in our backline last year with Niall, and we expect him to come in, lead and compete from day one," said FC Tucson Head Coach John Galas. "He's a wonderful young man who loves to train, loves to compete and is a positive personality in the locker room."
Biek is coming off a rookie season in the Men in Black backline where he started in all 12 games he appeared in during the 2020 season. In those 1,062 minutes of play, Biek led the team in interceptions with 26 and was second in clearances with 35 and blocks, 12.
"I'm thrilled to be back in the desert for the 2021 season," said Sam Biek. "This organization has given me a chance to live out my dream and I'm excited to get to work and win a championship."
The German player started 12 games, getting subbed off in only two. Biek along with fellow teammate Charlie Dennis earned Team of the Week honors in Week 14 following a 2-0 win against Orlando City B. In this game, Biek led the team in tackles with three, won eight of 12 duels, made four interceptions, and completed 53 of 59 passes.
During the 2019 WMU season, the 6-foot-3 defender earned first-team All Mid-American Conference honors, was named to United Soccer Coaches' All-North Region second team and led all WMU defenders with three goals. Prior to joining WMU, Biek played for Bethel University from 2016 - 2018, scoring 20 goals and recording four assists in 63 matches. Biek also featured for National Premier Soccer League (NPSL) clubs Milwaukee Torrent and Grand Rapids FC. The defender tallied seven goals and earned the Grand Rapids FC Player of the Year award during the 2019 NPSL season.
FC Tucson's current roster headed into 2021, listed by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (1): Rafael Guerrero
Defenders (2): Roberto Alarcon, Sam Biek
Midfielders (3): Charlie Dennis, Manu Ferriol, Jordan Pena
Forwards (1): Shak Adams
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from January 26, 2021
- FC Tucson Re-Signs Defender Samuel Biek - FC Tucson
- A Letter to the RVA Community from Rob Ukrop - Richmond Kickers
- Forward Madison Signs Proven Goalscorer Jake Keegan - Forward Madison FC
- Tormenta FC Signs Colombian Defender Luis Rodriguez - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Triumph Announce Multi-Year Extension with Head Coach John Harkes - Greenville Triumph SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Tucson Stories
- FC Tucson Sign Former Miami FC Defender Maximiliano Schenfeld
- Club Parts Ways with Roberto Alarcon & Jimmy Filerman
- FC Tucson Joins Forces with City Neighborhoods Through Barrio 2 Barrio Pop-Up Block Parties
- Gio Calixtro Named to USL League One Top 10 Young Players to Watch
- FC Tucson Sign Former Riverhounds Defender Noah Franke