FC Tucson Bested at Chattanooga
Chattanooga, Tenn. - There was always the threat that the Men In Black had another amazing rally in them, even down to the last kick in Chattanooga, Tenn., on Saturday.
But a Chattanooga Red Wolves SC goal in the 53rd minute and a saved penalty by its goalkeeper 15 minutes later proved too much in a 1-0 loss that ended FC Tucson's bid for a comeback for a second match in a row.
Chattanooga's second-year forward from Scotland, Greg Hurst, scored his third goal of the season just eight minutes after the break to account for the game's only goal In the inaugural match at CHI Memorial Stadium in Chattanooga.
The Men in Black had the opportunity to negate Hurst's score when FC Tucson second-half substitute Darryl Longdon was taken down in the box by goalkeeper Alexander Mangels. But Mangels redeemed himself by diving to his right and stopping Josh Coan's penalty shot in the 68th minute.
Sparked by some speedy runs by Longdon and Shak Adams on opposite sides of the pitch, the Men In Black had a handful of chances down the stretch. The last foray coming seconds before the final whistle when Coan's cross sailed to the far post and defender A.J. Valenzuela headed it toward goal, only to see it bounce up off the ground and into Mangels' arms.
FC Tucson's defense had to deal with Chattanooga's high-pressing attack throughout much of the match and finally succumbed when Hurst's right-footed shot from 6 yards after a goalmouth scramble got past a diving Amal Knight. Knight managed six saves in the match.
The Men In Black will finally get a chance to open their home season with a 7:30 p.m. contest against Union Omaha on Saturday, Aug. 8 at Kino North Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from August 4, 2020
- Match Preview: Greenville Triumph vs. South Georgia Tormenta FC - Greenville Triumph SC
- Walker Named to Week 3 Team of the Week - Greenville Triumph SC
- Vinyals, Mayr, Mueller Earn USL League One Honors for Week 3 - South Georgia Tormenta FC
- Tormenta FC's Vinyals claims Player of the Week honors to lead Week 3 selections - USL1
- Akira Fitzgerald Earns Team of the Week Honors - Richmond Kickers
- FC Tucson Bested at Chattanooga - FC Tucson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.