Devil Rays release Kevin Witt
St. Petersburg, FL - The Tampa Bay Devil Rays today announced Kevin Witt, the 2006 International League and Durham Bulls MVP, has been released.
Witt, 30, was named the International League's MVP after leading all of minor league baseball with 36 home runs setting a Triple-A Durham franchise record and a Rays' organization record. He batted .291 for the Bulls in 125 games with 29 doubles, 36 home runs, 99 RBI, 50 walks, a .360 on-base percentage and a .577 slugging percentage leading the IL in RBIs, slugging percentage, extra-base hits (66) and runs scored (82) earning a promotion to the Rays on August 31.Witt batted .145 (8-55, HR-2, RBI-5) in 19 games with the Rays this season.
In other news, the Rays added left-handed pitcher Jeff Ridgway to the 40-man roster. Ridgway, 26, pitched to a 2.79 ERA in 50 appearances at AAA Durham and AA Montgomery in 2006. He was a combined 2-4 with two saves, 67 strikeouts and 20 walks in 58.0 innings. Opponents batted just .211 (45-213) against him.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from October 16, 2006
- Devil Rays release Kevin Witt - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Durham Bulls Stories
- Halloween-Themed Fall Fan Fest to be Held October 27
- DBAP to Host Hurricane Fundraiser, Championship Celebration Saturday
- Durham Falls in Triple-A National Championship Game
- Durham Bulls Game Notes - Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- Bulls Repeat as Governors' Cup Champions