Christian Johnson Returns to Soul Offensive Line
PHILADELPHIA (November 8, 2012) - The American Conference Champion Philadelphia Soul and the Arena Football League announce the return of offensive linemen Christian Johnson (6'4, 330, Kentucky) to the Soul's 2013 roster. The second-year veteran agreed to terms on a two-year deal that keeps him in Philadelphia through the 2014 season.
"Along with being one of best offensive lineman in the League, Christian is a leader on and off the field," said Soul head coach Clint Dolezel. "He was a big part of why we had the few sacks in the League and why we led the League in rushing last season. He's an All-Arena caliber talent and part of the foundation that we are putting in place that will help us get back to the ArenaBowl."
Johnson, who was one of the anchors on an offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the AFL, played in 14 regular-season games and all three postseason contests for the Soul in 2012. The third-year All-Arena caliber lineman played his rookie season under Dolezel in Dallas in 2011. During his time at Kentucky (2005-08), he appeared in 36 games while earning the starting nod 15 times. His high-school career at West Potomac, Alexandria, VA included earning All-Metro honors for the District of Columbia Area, and a two-year All-District pick.
In addition to bringing back Johnson, the team secured the services of veteran former Kansas City Command (AFL) wide receiver Jackie Chambers (5'10, 188, Lane College), defensive back Jeffrey Hodges (5'9, 185, Sacred Heart), Tyrone Collins (6'0, 200, Wagner) and defensive lineman/linebacker Calvin Fance (6'1, 245, Angelo State).
"Chambers brings veteran experience to our receiving corps, while Hodges and Fance are guys that will add depth at key positions for us," Dolezel said. "Collins was impressive in our open tryouts and we are excited to see what he can do on the field."
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from November 9, 2012
- Blaze Return Franchise Record Holders Rayford, Phillips - Utah Blaze
- Shock Assigned Adron Tennell - Spokane Shock
- Shock Assigned Ryan Cave - Spokane Shock
- Utah Lands Former NFL Offensive Lineman - Utah Blaze
- SaberCats Add Former All-Arena DB Neal, DB Dowling and WR Willis - San Jose SaberCats
- Sharks Return Top Receiver in Franchise History - Jacksonville Sharks
- Barnstormers Land Rookie Lineman Kyle Nunn - Iowa Barnstormers
- Christian Johnson Returns to Soul Offensive Line - Philadelphia Soul
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.