Binghamton Stopped in Albany 7-1
ALBANY, NY - The Binghamton Senators fell to the Albany Devils 7-1 on Wednesday night in front of 1,586 at Times Union Center.
Binghamton took a 1-0 lead 11:29 into the game. Rodewald moved down the left side of the ice and wrapped the puck in around the net and beat goaltender Ken Appleby. The goal was Rodewald's seventh of the year and third in three games with the assists going to Chad Nehring and Mike Blunden.
Albany scored the next two to take the lead going into the intermission. After two saves by Chris Driedger, Kevin Rooney sent the rebound over the right shoulder of Driedger and just under the cross bar to even the score 1-1. Rooney's goal came 14:56 into the first period with the only assist credited to Jan Mandat.
Late in the opening frame Albany took their first lead of the night. The puck bounced from the left wall to the hash marks in front of the net where Rod Pelley slapped in his sixth of the year for the 2-1 advantage. Reece Scarlett was given the assist on Pelley's goal. Binghamton trailed in shots 11-9 after twenty minutes.
The Devils added to their lead and at the same time forced a goaltending change. A shot from the point was tipped and beat Driedger with Petr Straka getting the final touch for his second of the year at 7:35. Josh Jacobs and John Quenneville had assists on the goal and Binghamton's Scott Greenham replaced Driedger in net.
A power-play goal pushed Albany out to a three-goal lead 13:52 into the second. Brian Gibbons deflected a shot from the point that beat Greenham for a 4-1 advantage with assists to Yohann Auvito and Quenneville. Through two periods, Albany had a 17-15 shot lead.
In the third period, Albany added three to its lead. Mandat scored his third of the year at the 1:47 mark for a 5-1 lead with assists from Gibbons and Blake Coleman. Coleman then increased the lead to five goals with his eighth of the year at 5:13 for a Devils' 6-1 lead. The final goal came off the stick of Coleman for a 7-1 Albany lead 9:07 into the third with helpers from Mandat and Straka.
The Senators return home December 26 to host the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins at 7:05 p.m. Fans are encouraged to donate winter clothing! Fans who donate boots and/or coats will receive FREE tickets to the December 28 game against Toronto. Can't make it to the game? Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
Affordable ticket packages for the 2016-17 season of Binghamton Senators hockey are on sale now! For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS (7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
Images from this story
Binghamton Stopped in Albany 7-1
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 21, 2016
- Binghamton Stopped in Albany 7-1 - Binghamton Senators
- Hockey Canada Names Roster for 2016 Spengler Cup - Albany Devils
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Kristers Gudlevskis, Syracuse Crunch Recall Nick Riopel - Syracuse Crunch
- Oliver Bjorkstrand Added by Columbus On Emergency Call - Cleveland Monsters
- Gionta Agrees to One-Year Contract with the Islanders - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Kick the Holidays off with Monsters Hockey on Thursday - Cleveland Monsters
- Hurricanes Return Michael Leighton to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Johansson Returned, Hildebrand Assigned - Rockford IceHogs
- Rockford Faces Chicago on Bomber Hat Night - Rockford IceHogs
- Flames Loan Oliver Kylington to Team Swedenâ??s World Junior Championship Roster - Stockton Heat
- Aube-Kubel Adjusting to AHL Hockey - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- VIP Field Access TIckets for Condorstown Outdoor Classic Now - Bakersfield Condors
- Detroit Recalls Coreau, Griffins Bring up Heeter - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Syracuse Crunch Weekly - December 21, 2016 - Vol. 23, No. 10 - Syracuse Crunch
- Condors Erase Large Deficit to Earn Point in Tucson - Bakersfield Condors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.