Binghamton Defeated by Hershey 5-3
BINGHAMTON, NY. - Despite a three-point night from Casey Bailey, the Binghamton Senators fell to the visiting Hershey Bears 5-3 on Friday night at Floyd L. Maines Veterans Memorial Arena.
It only took 49 seconds for the B-Sens to get on the board courtesy of American Hockey League All-Star, Bailey. After putting pressure on the Bears in their own zone, Bailey forced a turnover at the left faceoff circle that he took and sent a shot through Vitek Vanecek's arms for the 1-0 lead on his 11th of the year.
Hershey answered with a goal at the 7:06 mark of the opening period. Garrett Mitchell carried the puck around the back of the net and sent a backhanded pass to the front that deflected in off a B-Sens' skate. Chris Bourque and Christian Djoos helped assist on Mitchell's sixth goal of the year to tie up the game.
Max McCormick broke the tie and gave Binghamton the one-goal lead on a power-play chance at the end half of the first period. Bailey helped set up the goal sending the puck across the blue line to Chris Rumble waiting at the other side. Rumble let a shot rip from just inside the blue line that McCormick deflected in past Vanecek for his 12th goal of the year. The B-Sens went to the locker room leading the Bears 2-1 and outshooting them 14-12.
Hershey scored the lone two goals over the middle frame to take the 3-2 lead into the final intermission. Chris Bourque scored his 13th goal of the year from the right faceoff circle with assists from Darren Dietz and Chandler Stephenson just over four minutes into the period to even the score at two.
Stanislav Galiev scored his first goal of the night unassisted with less than seven minutes to play after a turnover in front of the net that beat Matt O'Connor low on the right hand side. Binghamton entered the second intermission trailing 3-2 and being outshot 26-22.
Galiev netted his second of the night at the 5:44 mark of the third period and 10th of the season. With O'Connor out of the crease, Galiev found the back of a wide-open net while Paul Carey and Brad Malone picked up the assists for a 4-2 advantage.
The B-Sens brought it back to a one-goal game as Rumble scored another power-play goal for the home team just three minutes later. Bailey sent a cross-ice pass to Jason Akeson who found Rumble waiting in the center slot by the blue line. Rumble sent one of his hard shots past Vanecek for his fifth goal of the year and the B-Sens trailed by one, 4-3.
Galiev completed his hat trick bid and ended the B-Sens final push with the last goal of the night at the 17:46 mark. Galiev's line with Carey and Malone struck again to bring the final score to 5-3 and giving the B-Sens the loss.
O'Connor finished the night with 28 saves while Vanecek picked up the win stopping 30 shots.
The Binghamton Senators are back on home ice tomorrow, Saturday, February 4, for a 7:05 p.m. puck drop against the Albany Devils on Heart Cup Night. Come at 4:30 p.m. and watch the Binghamtom Polica and Fire Departments battle on the ice. One ticket gets you into both games! Fans can purchase tickets by calling the B-Sens Executive Office starting at 8:00 a.m. until the second intermission or visiting the office on the third floor of the Arena. Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS(7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 4, 2017
- Reign Power Play Earns Opportunities; Fall Short in San Diego - Ontario Reign
- Currie Comes up Clutch Again for Bakersfield in Overtime - Bakersfield Condors
- Wild Wins Ninth Straight Road Game with 1-0 OT Victory - Iowa Wild
- Agozzino Lifts Wolves over IceHogs in Overtime - Chicago Wolves
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Ride Three-Goal First to Win over Tucson - Charlotte Checkers
- Griffins Fall to Milwaukee in Howard's Return - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Game Recap | Amerks Double up Wolf Pack to Close out Road Trip - Rochester Americans
- Rampage Fall to Stars 2-1 - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Drop Devils 6-2 in Front of 4,637 - Binghamton Senators
- Penguins Take Round 3 of Rivalry Series - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Rochester Americans 4, Hartford Wolf Pack 2 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- RECAP: Penguins Shut Down Phantoms, 7-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Game Recap: T-Birds 5, Sound Tigers 2 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Devils Dropped by Senators - Albany Devils
- MONSTERS GAME SUMMARY: Monsters Clipped by Wild in Overtime, 1-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- RECAP | IceCaps Bounced by Bears 5-2 - St. John's IceCaps
- Crunch Outlast Marlies, 5-3 - Syracuse Crunch
- Blue Jackets Recall Hannikainen For Team-Leading Eighth Time - Cleveland Monsters
- Press Recalled by Rockford - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Tommy Thompson to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- World Record Attempt Tonight as Heat Host Bakersfield - Stockton Heat
- Red Wings Assign Jimmy Howard to Griffins for Conditioning - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sabres Recall Bailey, Assign O'Reilly to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Gulls Complete Home-And-Home - Ontario Reign
- Syracuse Crunch to Host How to Get a Job in Sports Night February 10 - Syracuse Crunch
- Tampa Bay Lightning Recall Forward Joel Vermin from Syracuse Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Gaudreau Hat Trick Powers Admirals Past Hogs in OT - Rockford IceHogs
- Condors Beat the Heat, 2-1 - Bakersfield Condors
- Sellout Pink in the Rink Crowd Watches Thrilling Contest; Reign Fall in OT to Gulls - Ontario Reign
- Klimchuk Ties Team-Lead with 13th Goal in Loss - Stockton Heat
- Rampage Previal on Pink Ice in 3-2 Victory over Stars - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Prey on Wolves, 5-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Gaudreau Nets Hat Trick in Admirals Win - Milwaukee Admirals
- Checkers Suffer Heartbreaking Loss in Tucson - Charlotte Checkers
- Amerks Comeback Falls Short in 3-2 Loss to Sound Tigers - Rochester Americans
- Rampage Take a Tight One from Stars, 3-2 - Texas Stars
- Wolves Can't Cage Griffins - Chicago Wolves
- Binghamton Defeated by Hershey 5-3 - Binghamton Senators
- Devils Edged by Phantoms - Albany Devils
- Fontaine, Halverson Help Push Pack Past Comets - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Phantoms Rally Late...Again - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Defeated by St. John's, 5-2 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Edge Amerks for Eighth Straight Win - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.