B-Sens Shock Crunch Late, 3-2
SYRACUSE, NY - Max McCormick scored the game-winning shorthanded goal with 53 seconds left in regulation to lift the Binghamton Senators 3-2 over the Syracuse Crunch on the road Friday night.
Casey Bailey put the B-Sens ahead in the first period after tipping the puck in the hash marks. McCormick played a pass out to the point and Ben Harpur sent a shot on net that Bailey deflected behind goaltender Adam Wilcox for the 1-0 lead. The goal was Bailey's 12th of the year with assists from Harpur and McCormick at 13:06 of the first. Binghamton led 1-0 after one period despite being outshot 12-4.
Early in the middle frame, defenseman Andreas Englund stepped up in the offensive zone and gave the B-Sens a 2-0 lead. Binghamton's Phil Varone moved the puck down the right wall and put on the breaks in the offensive zone circle as Englund moved in from the point. Varone fed Englund who snapped a shot that went off the inside of the post and beat Wilcox on the glove side from the hash marks. The goal was Englund's second of the season from Varone and Jason Akeson at 4:07.
Syracuse responded to get on the board late in the second period. After several chances that were denied by Matt O'Connor, Joel Vermin lifted the puck from just beyond the crease and beat O'Connor on the glove side for his tenth of the year with just 2:38 remaining. Assists were credited to Cory Conacher and Yanni Gourde. Heading into the third, the B-Sens led the Crunch 2-1 and were outshot 18-15 through 40 minutes.
The Crunch tied the game after a huge scrum in front of Binghamton's O'Connor in the third. Syracuse was awarded a penalty shot after the puck was covered in the crease by a skater and Jeremy Morin converted to tie the game 2-2. Morin beat O'Connor between the legs for his ninth of the year with 10:57 to go in the game.
With Chad Nehring in the box late in the game, Kyle Flanagan started a shorthanded rush with McCormick joining him. Flanagan fed McCormick and he beat Wilcox with just 53 seconds left in the game for a 3-2 lead. The goal was McCormick's 13th of the year from Flanagan and held up as the game winner in the victory.
O'Connor stopped 25 shots in the win while Wilcox denied 19 in the loss.
The B-Sens' road trip continues Saturday night in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to face the Penguins at 7:05 p.m. Can't make it to the game? Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
Affordable ticket packages for the 2016-17 season of Binghamton Senators hockey are on sale now! For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS (7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
Images from this story
B-Sens Shock Crunch Late, 3-2
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 10, 2017
- Griffins Overcome Two-Goal Deficit, Fall to Wild 4-2 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Continue Road Trip with 7-3 Loss at Chicago - San Antonio Rampage
- Butler, Sterling Help Wolves Corral Rampage - Chicago Wolves
- Late Goal Pushes Devils Past Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Wild Bests Western Conference Leaders 4-2 - Iowa Wild
- Comets Suffer Another Loss to Marlies - Utica Comets
- Game Recap: Sound Tigers 1, Bruins 0 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Crunch Drop 3-2 Decision to Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- GAME RECAP: Checkers Beat the Heat 3-1 for Another Home Win - Charlotte Checkers
- Resilient Phantoms Double up St. John's 4-2 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- WOLF PACK GAME RECAP - Hartford Wolf Pack 3, Springfield Thunderbirds - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Late Third Period Goal Leads Albany to 3-2 Win over Rochester - Albany Devils
- RECAP: Penguins Win Overtime Thriller with Bears, 4-3 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- RECAP | IceCaps Ghosted 4-2 by Phantoms - St. John's IceCaps
- Manitoba Moose Recap: Manitoba 2 at Cleveland 3 SO - Manitoba Moose
- P-Bruins Suffer Second Shutout of Season to Halak, Tigers - Providence Bruins
- B-Sens Shock Crunch Late, 3-2 - Binghamton Senators
- Red Wings Recall Howard from Conditioning - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Dallas Assigns Julius Honka to Texas - Texas Stars
- Avalanche Reassign Defenseman Eric Gelinas - San Antonio Rampage
- Stockton on the East Coast to Face Charlotte at 4:15 - Stockton Heat
- Reign Toast the Gulls on $2 Bud Light Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Matinee Game, Purple Game and Toy Night Among Promotions for Homestand - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Wild Change Game Time For Gaelic Storm Concert Night On March 18 - Iowa Wild
- Jordan Weal Recalled by Flyers, Chris McCarthy Recalled by Phantoms - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Rampage Recall Defenseman Cody Corbett from Colorado Eagles - San Antonio Rampage
- Sound Tigers Seek Separation in Playoff Race this Weekend - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Pink in the Rink Presented by Upstate Cancer Center - Syracuse Crunch
- Sabres Assign Rodrigues to Rochester - Rochester Americans
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Recall Forsberg, Assign - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.