Austin Announces Release Of 14 Players From The 2009 Squad
AUSTIN - In a sweeping move to clean house in preparation for the 2010 season, the Austin Aztex FC today announced the release of 14 players from the 2009 roster.
The players who will not have their 2010 options taken up include:
- David Sias - Gareth Evans - Gifton Noel-Williams - Jarius Holmes - Lyle Adams - Ryan Caugherty - Ryan McMahen - Sam Reynolds - Wes Allen - Zack Pope - A.J. Godbolt - Josh Alcala - Kyle Brown - Michael Dello-Russo
"Our expectations as a club were to make the playoffs," said head coach Adrian Heath. "We didn't achieve that and we know that things have to change for next season. Everyone we have let go today has given their all for us and in some cases the decision to release them was very difficult indeed. But we must move on. We need to add more bite and experience to the squad and more productive in front of goal. Phil and I have talked at length and we know we will need to add a few experienced pros into the mix for next year. This will help our good young players to improve.
"We have already started our scouting for next year. Phil just returned from Senegal. I was in Haiti last weekend. Next week we are off to Colombia and after Thanksgiving I have a trip to Mexico on the calendar. All of this is in addition to the scouting trips and reports we are gathering from all across the U.S. I am excited about assembling a very competitive squad for 2010."
• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...
USL First Division Stories from November 6, 2009
- Austin Announces Release Of 14 Players From The 2009 Squad - Austin Aztex
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Aztex Stories
- Austin Aztex Confirm Relocation of Franchise
- Eddie Johnson, Jamie Watson, Max Griffin Honored by USSF D-2 Pro League
- Aztex Forward Max Griffin Voted Rookie of the Year
- League's Leading Goal Scorer Eddie Johnson Transferred to Portland Timbers
- Vancouver Completes Semifinal Field After 2-1 Aggregate Victory in USSF D-2 Playoffs