Audra Richards, Twice the Leading Scorer at Maine, Signs with the Riveters
Former University of Maine forward Audra Richards has joined the NWHL, signing with the Metropolitan Riveters for the upcoming season.
"Seeing the NWHL come to my home state of Minnesota made me realize I wasn't ready for my hockey career to come to an end, so I'm incredibly excited and honored to join the Riveters," said Richards, a native of Maplewood, Minn. "The NWHL is truly doing something special for the sport that has defined me as a person my entire life. The Riveters gave me an opportunity of a lifetime and I could not be happier to represent such an amazing program. Signing a contract to be a pro women's hockey player was one of the most exciting moments I've ever experienced, and I'm even more excited to throw on the jersey and play"!
Richards, who turns 24 on July 19, played at Maine from 2012 - 2016, scoring 45 goals and adding 25 assists for 70 points in 132 games. She scored 15 goals as a sophomore and 14 as a senior - leading the Black Bears in goals and points in both seasons. Before Maine, Richards played for the Minnesota Thoroughbreds and attended Tartan High School, earning letters in hockey, soccer and track and field.
Since graduating Maine, Richards has taught elementary Physical Education in Minnesota and has coached varsity girls' hockey, soccer, and track and field, while playing in multiple leagues and tournaments in the state.
"Each game and practice reminds me how much I miss meaningful competitive hockey," said Richards, "and it gets me more and more excited to be part of a professional league."
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Hockey League message board...
National Women's Hockey League Stories from July 9, 2018
- Audra Richards, Twice the Leading Scorer at Maine, Signs with the Riveters - Metropolitan Riveters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Metropolitan Riveters Stories
- NWHL All-Star Defenders Burke, Picard and Ry An Return to Champion Riveters' Lineup
- Audra Richards, Twice the Leading Scorer at Maine, Signs with the Riveters
- Kelly Nash and Rebecca Morse Return to Defend Isobel Cup with the Riveters
- Isobel Cup Champion Riveters Re-Sign Goalie Trio: Bryant, Fitzgerald and Sass
- NWHL Icon Ashley "Stretch" Johnston Says Goodbye