AFL unveils new Foster ArenaBowl Trophy
June 22, 2004 - Arena Football League (1987-2008) (AFL I) News Release
PHOENIX, Ariz. - When the No. 1-seeded Arizona Rattlers (13-5) host the No. 2-seeded San Jose SaberCats (13-5) on Sunday, June 27 at 4 p.m. ET in ArenaBowl XVIII, one team will be looking to make league history by holding onto something no team has before. The Arena Football League announced today that a new version of the Foster ArenaBowl Trophy will be presented to the winner of ArenaBowl XVIII.
The new Foster ArenaBowl Trophy replaces the league's previous championship trophy, which was introduced in 1992. Named for the league's founder, James F. Foster, the trophy will be permanently displayed in the AFL offices in New York City for the first time ever. Replica trophies will be made available to each winning team.
Designed by Zweigle Advertising, INC. of St. Louis Park, Minnesota, the new Foster ArenaBowl Trophy stands 28 inches tall, weighs 60 lbs and is worth nearly $50,000.
Based on the overall design of the previous trophy, the new Foster ArenaBowl Trophy is made up of three distinctive tiers. A custom hand-crafted Sterling Silver AFL Championship Bowl serves as the top tier component. The Bowl, which measures 20 inches in diameter, is adorned with six bas-relief hand sculpted Sterling Silver football scenes.
A 16-inch hand crafted hard wood column finished in stain black ebony holds the AFL Championship Bowl. The black ebony column is accented with inlaid vertical Sterling Silver and two surface mounted horizontal Sterling Silver bands that are engraved with the words Character, Commitment, Excellence and Teamwork -- all symbols exemplary of the AFL and its players.
Affixed to the front of the column is the AFL logo. The base of the trophy is made of American Walnut and features a Sterling Silver band that will be engraved with every ArenaBowl Champion.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from June 22, 2004
- ArenaBowl XVIII on Sports Byline Radio - AFL I
- Earthquakes Forward Landon Donovan Nominated for ESPY Award for Best Male Soccer Player - San Jose SaberCats
- ArenaBowl All-Star Dance Team to energize Phoenix for ArenaBowl XVIII - AFL I
- Must-see matchups: ArenaBowl XVIII - AFL I
- ArenaBowl XVIII tickets hot item - AFL I
- Arizona Rattlers ArenaBowl XVIII Game Notes - Arizona Rattlers
- AFL announces officials for ArenaBowl XVIII - AFL I
- AFL unveils new Foster ArenaBowl Trophy - AFL I
- Hundon will enjoy off-season after ArenaBowl XVIII - San Jose SaberCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.