2013 NLL Entry Draft Set For September 16
SAINT PAUL, Minn. - The National Lacrosse League has announced that the 2013 NLL Entry Draft will take place on Monday, Sept. 16 at 6 p.m. CT at the Toronto Rock Athletic Centre (TRAC) in Oakville, Ontario. The draft will be broadcast live on YouTube via The Lacrosse Network.
For the second straight season, the Minnesota Swarm will make a league-high four selections in the first-round. The Swarm currently holds the top two overall selections in the draft as well as picks Nos. 5 and 7 in the first-round. Minnesota has not held the No. 1 overall pick since the 2004 NLL Entry Draft, however the team traded that pick to the Buffalo Bandits.
"We are excited to have the top two picks and four of the top seven selections in this year's draft," Swarm Owner and President John Arlotta said. "Most importantly, over the last two years we will have had the opportunity to draft eight of the best box lacrosse players in the world with our first-round selections, and that provides us with a unique opportunity to build a team that can win both now and in the future."
Last season, the Swarm used their four first-round picks on T Brock Sorensen (No. 2), T Kiel Matisz (No. 3), F Shayne Jackson (No. 4) and D Alex Crepinsek (No. 10). In doing so, the Swarm became the first team in NLL history to draft three Top 4 players.
Minnesota also holds five other selections in this year's draft: Nos. 21 and 23 in the third round; Nos. 29 and 30 in the fourth round and No. 39 in the fifth round.
In conjunction with the Draft, the Combine for prospects and free agents will also be held at TRAC with the two-day event starting on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 6 p.m. ET before daylong activities on Sunday. Players will have the opportunity to showcase their skills in a practice setting through structured games and take part in an interview process with NLL general managers and coaches. All players who participate in the combine will be subject to a series of tests that will evaluate their endurance, reaction times, strength, agility, speed, and lacrosse-related skills. The testing will be conducted by Sport Testing Inc., a provider of athlete assessment technologies and services.
The 2013 NLL Entry Draft order as of Aug. 12 (subject to change pending trades):
1. Minnesota (from Buffalo)
4. Edmonton (from Philadelphia)
5. Minnesota (from Edmonton)
7. Minnesota (from Toronto)
9. Toronto (from Rochester via Colorado)
11. Edmonton (from Minnesota)
13. Edmonton (from Philadelphia via Minnesota)
14. Buffalo (from Edmonton)
18. Colorado (from Buffalo via Rochester)
19. Philadelphia (from Buffalo)
20. Buffalo (from Minnesota via Philadelphia)
21. Minnesota (from Colorado)
23. Minnesota (from Edmonton)
28. Toronto (from Boston)
29. Minnesota (from Buffalo)
33. Philadelphia (from Edmonton)
41. Vancouver (from Philadelphia)
48. Calgary (from Minnesota)
52. Edmonton (from Calgary)
• Discuss this story on the National Lacrosse League message board...
National Lacrosse League Stories from August 14, 2013
- 2013 NLL Entry Draft Set For September 16 - Minnesota Swarm
- League Announces Inaugural Junior NLL Tournament - NLL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Minnesota Swarm Stories
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Relocation Plans for 2016
- Minnesota Swarm Announce Coaching Staff Change
- Minnesota Swarm Win Overtime Thriller against Rochester in Season
- Minnesota Swarm Face Knighthawks in Last Game of Season
- Minnesota Swarm's Comeback Not Enough against Edmonton