Status of the league

The Mid-Atlantic Hockey League (MAHL) forum
SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino »

Must Resist....must Resist!!
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.
rams80
Site Admin

Post by rams80 »

Well...can't say I'm surprised.
Mean Spirited Blogger #24601

Accused of being a Cyber Terrorist by Joe Newman.

This league (NIFL) is like a frickin' cockroach. You could throw a nuclear bomb at it and it would still survive
-tony-o

So I'd rather spend a quarter of an ABA franchise to repair my car, as opposed to spending a franchise and a half to get a new car that might have some planned obsolescence that causes it to break down 5 days after the end of the warranty period.
-Chuck the Writer
nksports
Site Admin

Post by nksports »

Well they did last longer this year than the Cashman league. But then again, these are tigers that can't change their spots :) .
Pounder
Site Admin

Post by Pounder »

[quote=""SignGuyDino""] Must Resist....must Resist!![/quote]

Personal opinion: resisting causes too much stress. That would be good for certain forms of weighlifting. However, even though you seem to be a solid Republican, I don't want your head blowing up. :D

Let it out.
Mean Spirited Blogger #107
SignGuyDino
Site Admin

Post by SignGuyDino »

[quote=""Pounder""]Personal opinion: resisting causes too much stress. That would be good for certain forms of weighlifting. However, even though you seem to be a solid Republican, I don't want your head blowing up. :D

Let it out.[/quote]

I'm too conservative for the Republican Party, so I left them. I'm at heart a monarchist.

Now bow before me for....

I FREAKING TOLD YOU SO!!!!
Never make anyone a priority that makes you an option.
robster2001
Site Admin

Post by robster2001 »

I think anyone who saw "Andrew Haines" and "minor pro sports" in the same sentence saw this coming... if the MAHL comes back in 2008-09, I figure it's without Haines.

Maybe Haines and Bill Raue can get together on MLRH next... :)
GoalieGirl16
Site Admin

Post by GoalieGirl16 »

[quote=""nksports""]Well they did last longer this year than the Cashman league. But then again, these are tigers that can't change their spots :) .[/quote]

Ah, time blurs memories! The Jamestown Titans played their last real game in Utica on February 15. I was there. I actually had to drive some of the players to the game because they had no money because Cashman hadn't paid them either. So, the Titans lasted a mere 3 days longer than the Vikings... Also, the NAHL actually had the audacity to hold "league championship playoffs" in York, PA that March. Jamestown took the championship with only about 4 players who actually played for the Titans during their "season". Those who went all the way to York were promised pay and travel expenses. They got neither.

I was really involved with the Titans and was quite disappointed for the league, the fans, and the players who I became quite close to (in fact I still keep in touch with a few of them). Although I attended a couple of Vikings games, I made sure to keep my distance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Wasn't going to let that happen again.

Too bad Jamestown's beautiful ice rink can't be utilized for a venue for a real league and a real team.
Minor League Man
Site Admin

Post by Minor League Man »

[quote=""GoalieGirl16""]Ah, time blurs memories! The Jamestown Titans played their last real game in Utica on February 15. I was there. I actually had to drive some of the players to the game because they had no money because Cashman hadn't paid them either. So, the Titans lasted a mere 3 days longer than the Vikings... Also, the NAHL actually had the audacity to hold "league championship playoffs" in York, PA that March. Jamestown took the championship with only about 4 players who actually played for the Titans during their "season". Those who went all the way to York were promised pay and travel expenses. They got neither.

I was really involved with the Titans and was quite disappointed for the league, the fans, and the players who I became quite close to (in fact I still keep in touch with a few of them). Although I attended a couple of Vikings games, I made sure to keep my distance. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Wasn't going to let that happen again.

Too bad Jamestown's beautiful ice rink can't be utilized for a venue for a real league and a real team.[/quote]
GoalieGirl16, eh? Would you happen to be the woman the Mon Valley Thunder signed as their goalie early in the season (but later cut, apparently)
Proud to be a veteran of these boards for the last 5 years...
JoeyJosephs
Site Admin

I'm Not Surprised

Post by JoeyJosephs »

I read today about what happened with the MAHL and I am truly sorry to all the fans of those teams. You all got shafted.

I worked with Andrew Haines in the AIFA as his first Director of Media Relations. I had many people tell me not to work with him and how much of a liar and con man he was, but I was naive (maybe stupid) and I believe in giving people a chance, so I worked with him.

In the beginning, we worked well. He and his teams kept giving me press releases to post on their web site and I dutifully did my job...until it was time to get paid for it.

Luckily, I had a full-time job at the time but when I started asking about when I'd get paid, that's when the relationship got rocky.

He started having the teams post their own stuff to the website and when I questioned why releases were going through me first, he gave me a BS answer saying teams had been sending me e-mails but I wasn't doing my job. THAT WAS A BALD-FACED LIE! For two months, I never got any e-mails (and, trust me, I check my e-mail many times during the day). How could I do my job when I wasn't being made aware of what was going on?

I would get calls from media outlets wanting more information on stories that I hadn't been made aware of yet and these people would make me look like an idiot.

Oh, yes, I did my money, but it took pulling teeth to get it. I finally had to set a PayPal account to get what I was owed because he didn't deal in sending out checks.

The funniest thing, though, was when I left the league, he hired a guy I knew out of Daytona Beach...who was one of the many people who initially told me not to work with Andrew. He wound up taking my job and got screwed over himself. He left and joined the World Indoor Football League, which fell apart, and now is involved with Daytona Beach's team in af2.

Karma eventually bites you on the butt when you do bad things to good people, though.

I have my own PR firm now in Battle Creek, MI and am on the board of directors of a sports commission in Grand Rapids, so I kind of showed him up. Andrew felt I wouldn't be much of anything without him.

I hope someone is smart enough to buy this league out from under him and run it professionally.

Maybe if someone does, they can contact me. I might do business with them.

Joey Josephs
Continental Communications
Battle Creek, MI
http://www.myspace.com/contcomm
GoalieGirl16
Site Admin

Post by GoalieGirl16 »

[quote=""Minor League Man""]GoalieGirl16, eh? Would you happen to be the woman the Mon Valley Thunder signed as their goalie early in the season (but later cut, apparently)[/quote]

Nope, not me. Although I do play, I learned my lesson getting involved with Cashman. Funny thing is though, when they set up the Vikings in Jamestown, all Haines did was get on TV and on the radio and badmouth the Titans and the NEHL saying how poorly run that league was and how his new league was affiliated with the NHL and how much better his new hockey players were going to be, and how the Titans and NEHL were a glorified men's house league team, yadda yadda yadda. Truth be told, it kinda pissed me off. Some of the Titans went on to play in the WHA2 (another B.S. poorly run league) another went to play in Europe and they were actually very good players. It was a shame they got involved with Cashman.

At first, I was actually thinking that the MAHL and Vikings were different. They sure seemed that way for the first month or so. Then they followed the same path as the NEHL. I once e-mailed the Vikings team president saying that I thought the ticket prices were WAY high and that in a town like Jamestown, they were unaffordable. He replied saying that they weren't. Well, it was for me. I could go see the Amerks or Otters for less than that. And I did.

As they say ... bummer, dude.

Return to “MAHL”